Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Whimsical Wednesday #3 - Blog Comment Survey and additional awards to acknowledge & share

Make Time for Small Reflections
I found this set of questions at Tammy's of Mom Knows Everything a couple of weeks ago and saved it in my 'drafts' folder' thinking it might make a fun and interesting post. Today seems like a good day to combine the survey with some awards ... just because. I hope at least some of you passing by will decide to share your thoughts either here (in comments) or on your own blog ... (leaving a link here so I can read you answers) ... and invite others to join the conversation as well. It reminds me of Rebecca's question a while back, encouraging others to share Why I Blog.
Tammy wrote: "My blogging buddy Melinda was wondering about blog comments and how we respond to them and she asked the following questions."
1. How many blogs do you comment on each week?
It varies depending on what's happening in my life, but I've got 330 'categorized' blogs and 2 'mega feeds' (Blog 365 and One Single Impression) in my 'reader' ... so I usually have 350-700 new posts listed daily. I do most of my reading within the reader itself to maximize the use of my time ... and for the most part, those who include the entire post there (as I do) definitely get my attention over those who list just a title or an 'abbreviated' tidbit (because it takes me less time to catch up) unless you've become a 'Virtual friend' and therefore a 'daily read' as time permits.


2. Do you comment on the same blogs routinely?
Not necessarily ... (see #3).


3. Do you comment just to comment are do you comment with the expectations that the blog owner will visit your blog as well? Generally, I comment when I have something to say ... and I often leave a single comment about several posts at a time ... especially when crunched for time. Of course it's nice to receive a visit in return, but that's not my primary motivation for commenting. I simply enjoy the 'virtual interaction' ... yet with that said, when participating in a 'Weekly Activity' like HoTs, WW, T-13, HF, PH, SWF, OSI, CC, UM etc ... I try to remember to let folks know on which of my 3 blogs I've participated so that potential visitors won't need to spend time searching posts out ... and I appreciate it when those with multiple linked blogs like me to direct ME in this way too.

4. How would you like the blog owner to respond to your comment, if at all? However they choose. My email is available on my Blogger Profile, and I always check the little box to receive follow-up comments in email when it's available. Interestingly, those who have made the Blogger change (like Hootin' Anni) to put the comments 'in line' don't HAVE a little box TO check any longer. I just don't have time to check back on previous posts because I've been seriously behind for months now.

5. How many comments would you say you got (on average) in your last 5 posts? It depends ... varying greatly (from 20-45 or 6-15) ... depending perhaps on whether or not I've joined a 'Weekly Activity' (see #3 above) or am simply posting as I am today ... sharing whatever I choose.

6. Do you respond to your comments?
Yes. I prefer to leave 'individual' responses to all who comment here ... but when crunched for time I occasionally leave 'group responses' as time permits.


7. How do you respond, within that post or via email or some other way? If someone asks a specific question and/or I have something specific to say ... (and their email is available) ... I send messages directly in email as time permits ... sometimes quite belatedly when I fall behind. When questions are asked w/o making email available, I do my best to leave the answer in a comment on the other person's blog ... but I know that some things fall through the cracks occasionally.

8. [If you don't respond to comments] Why not? N/A

Your turn: I would be interested in seeing how you respond to these questions ... either here in comments or leave me a link when you share on your own blog. Just to make it easier I've included a set of questions w/o answers for your use, and I've added an incentive below.

1. How many blogs do you comment on each week?
2. Do you comment on the same blogs routinely?
3. Do you comment just to comment are do you comment with the expectations that the blog owner will visit your blog as well?
4. How would you like the blog owner to respond to your comment, if at all?
5. How many comments would you say you got (on average) in your last 5 posts?
6. Do you respond to your comments?
7. How do you respond, within that post or via email or some other way?
8. [If you don't respond to comments] Why not?

I'd like to acknowledge, accept, and share
the following awards with gratitude.

Thanks to Ivanhoe
for this colorful award.

I offer it as an incentive to anyone who decides to
participate in the Blog Comment Survey
either here or on their own blog.

Ivanhoe also blessed Small Reflections with this one
and Mike Golch presented it to Sacred Ruminations
where I shared it mid-July.
I'd like to share it (and the ones below)
with everyone on any
of my Blogrolls
and all those I visit regularly

(Come on ... you know who you are)

Mary (of Mary's Writing Nook) bestowed
this 'friendship award' to storyteller (that's me)

but I've forgotten who gave me this one ...
so please help me remember so I can add a link.
Small Reflections ... Smile Back
Thought for Today
Another 'repeat' ... but I couldn't resist for some reason.
"God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used
one to say 'thank you' ...?" William A. Ward

10 comments:

Mike Golch said...

Nice set of awards. I hope that you are having a grand day.

Maude Lynn said...

This is an interesting survey. Would you believe that I have no idea how many blogs I visit each week?

Mom Knows Everything said...

I did this survey a little while ago. Man, you have a lot of feeds in your reader! Congrats on the awards! :o)

storyteller said...

Mike – Thanks. Although I’m pretty tired and moving S L O W L Y, the day’s been just fine thus far.

Mama Zen – Yez I would … and you’ll note I didn’t really answer that question because I don’t know either. I talked around the point sharing what I did know instead.

Tammy – Yup … if you check the beginning of the post, you’ll notice YOU were the SOURCE of this 'survey' for me and I gave you (and your friend Melinda) a little ‘link-love.’ It just took me a little while to get around to it. I hope others will share their thoughts too.

To all – I appreciate each of you dropping by this morning while I was checking email and putting the finishing touches on a post at my Blog Rolls and Bling Blog. I’m hoping to create a post at Sacred Ruminations too … and then I’ll be out visiting blogs. I hope you’re all enjoying your day.
Hugs and blessings,

Joyce said...

Hi, Storyteller,

If I get necessary paperwork done, plus make a nourishing dinner for my family, I'll reward myself by taking this quiz tonight.

Sounds like fun. :)

kitten said...

Congrats on the awards! I will do this tomorrow. I just wrote a little post for today. Thanks for sharing the award that goes with this post!
Hope you have a wonderful day!

Momisodes said...

Wow! You have quite a bit of reading to do each day in your Reader. I'm starting to get overwhelmed with mine, and I'm finding that following those who comment and bloggers on my blogroll seems to help.

Congrats on the awards!

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Wow, 350-700 new posts a day. I think I probably get about 200 in my reader and I'm about ready to cull again. But no fears, never you! ;)

Karen said...

I knew that you read lots of blogs but, WOW!!--impressive! I was hoping to pick up more blogs with this extra time I have, but so far that hasn't happened. If I read a blog regularly, I like to comment--comments certainly keep me going, and I want to encourage others as well. I write comments without the expectation of the blogger responding, but I usually remember to check back just in case.

Blowing kisses your way...'cos I feel like it...

storyteller said...

Joyce – I’m glad you’re considering joining in this conversation. I’m sorry I’ve not been by to see what you’ve been up to the past few days, but I’ll do my best to drop by this weekend if at all possible.

Kitten – Thanks! I enjoyed reading your responses and it seems like others are joining in the conversation through your post too … so I’ll be following along … just because.

Sandy (of Momisodes) – Some days I’m so busy I don’t even OPEN my ‘reader’ … and that’s how things get out of control. That said … I’m not ready to press the ‘mark as read’ button just yet, but may wind up doing that at some point. It seems every time I ‘cull the blog list’ … I find new folks I want to add … so the list doesn’t stay shorter for very long.

MPJ – Yup! And a bunch of those are YOURS I’m afraid. I’m unwilling to ‘skim’ through without really reading your posts … so I try to do several at a time when I have time … and hope to ‘catch up’ … eventually.

Karen – Yez … I know it’s foolish and that I need to make some changes …(especially when my ‘traveling friends’ are in town rather than on the road). My PSE classes and photo experimentation take up considerable time … and Molly won’t be ignored ... so even though I’m happily retired it’s clear that I can’t keep this pace up indefinitely. Thanks for the ‘blown kisses’ …

To all – I always enjoy finding comments and appreciate you dropping by. I wish for you each a wonderful weekend!
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails