Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Monday, February 23, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me - Marvelous Morning

Make Time for Small Reflections
I apologize for the lateness of today's post and appreciate those of you who have visited already this morning ... leaving lovely birthday wishes on Sunday's offering. Thank you!

I had a BIRTHDAY post ready to publish this morning, but when I went out front to feed the cat ... I looked up and saw this:




... then turned around and noticed this ;--)

so I grabbed my camera and headed for the beach to capture unobstructed views of this glorious rainbow and here are a few of the photographs collaged with PSE6 in two versions because I can't decide which I like best.
Click to embiggen for better viewing
This feels like a MARVELOUS GIFT today ... as do the blossoms in my front yard. I snapped a few more images and will share them in the days to come, rather than trying to do it now making it even later. For those who might have missed them over the weekend, I did share glimpses of Spring in Friday's post for Today's Flowers with a bit of Haiku.

It's sprinkling here this morning with significant rain predicted for later on, so perhaps my sister and I will need to reschedule our planned afternoon photography walk at the nearby Wetlands. We'll celebrate tonight at Z'Tejas (one of our favorite restaurants) starting with:
Grilled Shrimp & Guacamole Tostada Bites - Tostada rounds topped with fresh hand-hacked guacamole, a dash of chipotle and cilantro pesto marinated grilled shrimp.
and whatever else strikes our fancy from the menu. Everything is delicious. Perhaps we'll share an entre and end with:
Ancho Fudge Pie - Our famous fudge pie with walnuts, pecans and a pinch of ancho chile to bring out the rich chocolate flavor. Served warm with whipped cream.
Or ...
Cast-Iron Skillet Fresh Fruit Cobbler - Seasonal fruit cobbler with a brown sugar cinnamon crumb topping, served sizzling in a cast-iron skillet with a bourbon ginger caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream
Today I turn 64 ...

I feel much YOUNGER ... though my body doesn't move with the agility or speed I remember from earlier years ;--)

Each day brings new things to discover & learn ... opportunities to share with others in a myriad of ways ... moments to savor with delight ... challenges to meet with excitement & creative energy. I believe LIFE is an adventure ... that unlimited possibilities abound & meaning is generated when we follow our dreams ... giving generously while receiving with gratitude.

I received this lovely cake in email from Blingee this morning.
It certainly LOOKS tasty & festive so feel free to have a slice while you visit if you wish.

There's lots here ... and when I stop to think about the fact that I've been blogging for just 16 months, I'm astonished to note that
THIS is my 499th post here at Small Reflections ...
there are another 341 posts at Sacred Ruminations ...
24 at BlogRolls, Bling & Blurbs ... and 62 at Happily Retired Gal
for a Grand Total of 927!!! Who knew I'd be so prolific ... certainly not me!


As my gift to all who visit ... please accept this Rainbow Award to enjoy yourselves & pass it along to others who practice gratitude in their lives on a daily basis.
Click to embiggen for better viewing
The quote is a Chinese Proverb that says:
"To know the road ahead ...
ask those coming back."

If
you missed them over the weekend, click for:
Unconscious Mutterings #44 - Camera Critters #48
Haiku Friday #117 - FaveFive #3 - Today's Flowers

Small Reflections ... Smile Back

Thought for Today
"
Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest." Larry Lorenzoni

31 comments:

Sandee said...

Awesome, absolutely awesome.

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday Dear Virginia,
Happy Birthday to you.

Have a terrific day. Big hug. :)

Mike Golch said...

Hpppy bitrhday to you my friend,and here's to many more graceful days.

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Happy, HAPPY, Birthday friend! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Jo, a retired teacher said...

What a fun Thought for the Day--I'll try to remember that one! Have a lovely day.

NicciN said...

Happy, Happy Birthday to You. What great rainbow photos and what a great present for your birthday. Much love to you and yours for today and the year to come.

Pamela said...

gorgeous gorgeous birthday sky.
Happy Happy Birthday!

Joyce said...

Happy Birthday, dear Virginia! I'm thankful for the beautiful skies on your birthday, and the opportunity you have to celebrate with your sister.

Thank you for sharing the lovely Rainbow Award.

The quote makes me laugh!

Mike Golch said...

I have an award for you on my site! I hope that you are having a great day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you were born! You are such a bright light for me - always reminding me to look over here to the good reflections in life - a true rainbow

Dick said...

Happy Birthday, I think the statistics are OK. lol

George said...

Happy Birthday! With a rainbow like that it must have been a wonderful birthday. Which did you choose -- the fudge pie or the cobbler? That would be a very difficult choice for me to make!

RW said...

Happy Birthday to you! Virginia your rainbow photo is awesome what a what a excellent birthday gift! :D

Geraldine said...

Happy belated birthday HR Gal and many more to come. You are a gift to us all with your happy upbeat outlook.

Hugs, G

PERBS said...

Happy belated birthday! I forgot to come back and check. . . YOU certainly received a rainbow blessing for your birthday!!!!!!!!!!

Many happy returns to the day of thy birth

May sunshine and gladness be given

May God in His mercy prepare you on earth

For a beautiful birthday inheaven.

Loved your birthdya surprise and thanks for sharing it with us by way of photos.

Hope your dinner out nite was scrumptious!

Ivanhoe said...

The rainbow collages are simply gorgeous. I'm glad I found you :o)
Hope your b-day was wonderful!

Mom Knows Everything said...

Happy Birthday and many more!

AppleDebbie said...

Happy Birthday! I love the photo collages. We lived in Huntington Beach before we moved to Big Bear and I really miss the ocean. It's nice to "virtually" visit the beach through your beautiful photos.

Jeanne said...

A very happy birthday belatedly. What a wonderful way to start your day. You really got some beautiful views there. Regarding the age thing, I try not to think of my age according to the calendar, it's how you feel in your head and heart.

threesidesofcrazy said...

Happy belated birthday! Gorgeous rainbow pictures!

I haven't been around much either with working on the house so I understand how quickly we fall behind.

kitten said...

Happy Birthday sweety!!!!!
Beautiful pictures~
I sure have missed you~
Hugs!~

Kara said...

Oh no, I missed your big day on the day! Happy Belated Birthday!!!!! You amaze me with your zest for learning and generosity of spirit. Maybe I can make it up to you by singing The Beatles - "When I'm 64...." Have a most wonderful new year! Love and Hugs, kara a.k.a in a former blogging life spiritdoll.

Unknown said...

I don't think it's quite fair that you have all that fabulous weather, flowers AND rainbows!! Beautiful day for a birthday!

Lori said...

Happy Birthday!!

Ari_1965 said...

Lovely photos.
Many happy returns of the day.

Mary said...

Storyteller,

Happy belated birthday. I hope you had a great day.

Your photos of the rainbow are awesome. I enjoyed seeing the palm trees, which of course is something we don't have here in Ontario.

Drop by when you can. I'm having a book giveaway.

Blessings,
Mary

Hootin Anni said...

Just look at that beautiful rainbow collage!!! Wow...so, so wonderful.

I'm late in getting around to visiting a lot of my blogging buddies. We have been outdoors because the weather has been just terrific. Not much online time at all unless really early in the morning...when it's still dark before sunrise.

I am here to wish you a very belated birthday wish....hope it was a happy one!!!

i beati said...

Every birthday should be asucha big life hug and cherished .. I am heading for 66.. sAndy

Joy Des Jardins said...

Happy Happy Belated Birthday my sweet friend! I missed it Virginia...so sorry. I hope you had an absoluely wonderful day...you SO deserved it! Sounds like you had a great birthday dinner lined up with your sister...YUMMY! Love the pictures...they are just gorgeous. Take care sweetie...Love, Joy

storyteller said...

Thanks so much to everyone!
I'm so grateful to have encountered each of you in the Blogosphere and fully appreciate all your lovely wishes and kind comments. I did publish a follow up at Sacred Ruminations yesterday (containing a 3rd version of the Rainbow Collage) sharing "...that weather permitted my sister and I to walk the wetlands with our cameras for a few hours without getting soaked ... and we opted for the 'skillet fruit cobbler' after sharing the Tostada Bites appetizer and ...
Baked Seafood Enchiladas*
Blackened salmon and tuna, grilled cilantro pesto shrimp, wild mushrooms and baby spinach, topped with Jack and cotija cheeses and a roasted red pepper sauce, served with green chile rice and black beans."
The birthday is definitely one to remember! Thanks for adding to my joy ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Momisodes said...

I hope you had a lovely birthday! What beautiful shots and images on such a special day.

Anonymous said...

I'm doing my monthly catch-up-on-blog-reading thing and wanted to wish you a (very) belated happy birthday! I'm glad the world gave you such a lovely present.

Related Posts with Thumbnails