Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Thursday, September 18, 2008

T-13 #40 - Quotes about Books & Reading

Make Time for Small Reflections
13 Quotes about Books & Reading

1. "A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face. It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy." ~Edward P. Morgan

2. "If there's a book you really want to read but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison

3. "
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." ~ attributed to Mark Twain

4. "A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." ~Chinese Proverb

5. "My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter." ~Thomas Helm

6. "You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." ~Paul Sweeney

7. "To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting." ~Edmund Burke

8. "To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life." ~W. Somerset Maugham

9. "I divide all readers into two classes; those who read to remember and those who read to forget." ~William Lyon Phelps

10. "
Books - the best antidote against the marsh-gas of boredom and vacuity." ~George Steiner

11. "The smallest bookstore still contains more ideas of worth than have been presented in the entire history of television." ~Andrew Ross

12. "It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." ~Oscar Wilde

13. "The best of a book is not the thought which it contains, but the thought which it suggests; just as the charm of music dwells not in the tones but in the echoes of our hearts." ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
For easy access, I’ve listed more T-13 links along with the Thursday Thirteen Blogroll at My Blog Rolls.

Small Reflections ... Smile Back
Thought for Today
"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~Charles W. Eliot

35 comments:

Unknown said...

These are all wonderful quotes, and oh so true. Great list. Happy T13!

SandyCarlson said...

How I love No. 2. I feel encouraged. Thanks!

Meju said...

I love 3 and 5...but they were all great truths. Happy TT.

Anonymous said...

I treasure books that make me feel like #6.

Anonymous said...

Great list! I just love #7!

marcia@joyismygoal said...

I so love these I wanted to list a favorite but I could not limit it :) thanks for your sweet words on my TT
3. "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." ~ attributed to Mark Twain

5. "My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter." ~Thomas Helm

6. "You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." ~Paul Sweeney

11. "The smallest bookstore still contains more ideas of worth than have been presented in the entire history of television." ~Andrew Ross

12. "It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." ~Oscar Wilde

anthonynorth said...

Excellent quotes there. I particularly like #7. Reading is exercise for the mind, keeping it sharp. The relationship between writer and reader is vital - something you don't get with TV.

Robin said...

Great list. 5 and 6 are definitely true for me.

Joyce said...

This is a wonderful idea for Thursday 13, Storyteller. :) #11 is oh-so-true. I feel no great loss in not watching television, but would truly miss the worlds which books have opened to me.

Unknown said...

Love it, love it, did I mention I love it?
Please visit me at The Cafe & The Library

Mia Celeste said...

What great quotes! I like the Chinese Proverb about books being a garden.

Rayne said...

Number 6 - I hate that feeling.

Darla said...

I so agree with #5--if it's a really good book, I'm so torn when I get to the last chapter. I want to know how it turns out, but then it'll be over.

Emma Sanders said...

Ooh, I love this list. Very inspiring!

Anonymous said...

I feel lost without a book! Great list idea :)

Maude Lynn said...

Number 6 is my favorite!

Michelle said...

These are all great quotes and so very true. Happy TT! Books and reading are a wonderful thing.

Jo, a retired teacher said...

These are beautiful quotes.

I have several favorite authors who so make me feel #5 and #6.

And I love #11. It is often very difficult to made 12-year-olds understand the differences.

Linda said...

Great quotes. I can relate to #6. I just started "The Crush" by Sandra Brown. Just discovered this author and have been very pleased.

Anonymous said...

GREAT quotes. I especially like #2. Of course you missed two of my favorites.

A book is a man's best friend outside of a dog--inside a dog it is too dark to read! --Groucho Marx.

When I have money, I buy books. Then I buy food and clothing.--Thomas Jefferson

Akelamalu said...

Great quotes and all absolutely true!

bernieg1 said...

Number 5 was my favorite.

My TT this is week is about the 13 Myths of Sarah Palin

threesidesofcrazy said...

Fantastic List!!

Patsy said...

I'm not sure I would have posted my list if I had read yours first. But I really like these quotes. #2 touched me, #6 I know I've felt that way, and for #9 I think I fall into the second catagory more times than not. :)

Lovely TT Have a great weekend

Mom Knows Everything said...

I love reading! Me and my husband often exchange books after one of us is done with one.

Denise Patrick said...

Nice quotes. I particularly like #12.

Happy TT!

storyteller said...

Wow … how ‘kewl’ to find all your comments this afternoon! I’ve been at my PSE6 class this morning … shopped for groceries on the way home … and am enjoying some lunch while I respond to comments on the last few posts for each of my blogs. Since time is limited, I’ve decided to leave a ‘collective comment’ to ALL of you so that I’ll be able to use what little time I have available this afternoon to do some blog visiting! I’m delighted you enjoyed the quotes about books and reading today. Thanks so much for dropping by. I hope you're each enjoying a pleasant day!
Hugs and blessings,

Mary said...

What wonderful quotes. I love reading and read every night before I go to sleep. It is my way of relaxing. I have told the boys that you can travel the world over between the covers of a good book. I have done that and oh, the places I have been and the adventures I've been on.

Thank you for this awesome post.
Blessings,
Mary

Tink *~*~* said...

Regarding #5 - I sometimes read the last chapter first.

Am I going to hell?

:D

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

SabrinaT said...

#5 is me! I hate finishing a book.

Hootin Anni said...

Hi storyteller.
We got so busy yesterday working in the back yard cleaning debris from the summer when it was too hot to work outdoors that I didn't get a chance to visit everyone.

So, with your Thursday 13, I especially love #5. That is so true. So true for me anyway.

Hope your weekend will treat you with joy and happiness!!!

Raven said...

Great series of quotes. I enjoyed that.

Tina Coruth said...

Storyteller,

Thank you. I enjoyed reading these wonderful quotes. I especially liked 4, 5 and 8! :-)

hugs,
Tina

Unknown said...

I love all these book quotes! SO much wisdom!

storyteller said...

Thanks to the rest of you for dropping by and taking time to add your thoughts after I’d responded ‘en masse’ … discovering comments is ALWAYS delightful, and it’s reassuring to know that my posts ‘resonate’ with readers. I hope you’re all having a wonderful weekend!
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails