Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #4

Lest you read only this blog (& not Sacred Ruminations) and think I've lost my ability to count accurately, my 3rd T-13 is located there in case you missed it last week.


Here are Thirteen Quotes I find worth consideration:
  1. "If you think you can, or think you can't ... you're right." Henry Ford
  2. "Make a habit of two things: to help or at least do no harm." Hippocrates
  3. "Nothing great was ever accomplished without great enthusiasm." Ralph Waldo Emerson
  4. "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  5. "Happiness does not come from doing easy work, but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best." Theodore Isaac Rubin
  6. "Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions." Dag Hammarskjold
  7. "It is always our own self that we find at the end of the journey. The sooner we face that self, the better." Ella Mallart
  8. "I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure: Try to please everybody." Bayard Swope
  9. "I'm worried that we live in a climate where we are not allowed to fail and therefore we are encouraged to take fewer and fewer risks. For all human endeavor is set by risk, as the physicist Franz Kernig believes. Freedom risks its own abuse, thinking risks error, speech risks misunderstanding, faith risks failure, and hope risks despair. The risk of life is death, and man is man only by virtue of his risks of the future." Madeleine L'Engle
  10. "In the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter and sharing of pleasures, for in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning refreshed." from Kahlil Gibran's THE PROPHET
  11. "We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us. ... And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." Nelson Mandela
  12. "Yours is not the task of making your way in the world, but the task of remaking the world in which you will find before you." Franklin Delano Roosevelt
  13. "Live as if you were die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

For
easy
access,
I’ve listed
more T-13 links
along with
the Thursday Thirteen
Blogroll to my

sidebar

16 comments:

DrillerAA said...

One of the reasons our society seems to be so adept at failure is that we attempt to please everyone. It is one of the core problems with most of the presidental candidates.
Thank you for sharing a very good list.

Merry Christmas and Happy TT

Melissa said...

Those are fablulous quotes! The Ford one is one of my all time faves!

Happy TT!

Melanie said...

I love quotes! Thanks for sharing! Merry Christmas!!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Those are great quotes. I love 'em.

Happy TT and thanks for visiting!

pussreboots said...

Nice quotes. Happy TT.

damozel said...

Oh wow. I loved ALL of these. I bookmarked it---will probably link to it separately later!

13 Extraordinary Winter scenes

Smiler said...

Those are very good quotes. Many of them are directly in line with my thinking, many which are worth being reminded of. "You can't please all of the people all of the time", and that's a fact! Happy TT

Addicted to crafting said...

these are awesome!!! Happy TT!!!

storyteller said...

Driller – I appreciate your visit today … and your observations that reflect my own beliefs. Even if a candidate does have “integrity” when campaigning … it seems the office (or something else) changes them over time. In our world, it’s hard to stand up and be counted … perhaps it always has been? Thanks for your T-13 list of Christmas Bible verses for the season. I’ve got my copy right here.

Melissa – Thanks! I’m glad you like them. The Henry Ford quote is one I used always with students throughout the school year. Interestingly, my 8th graders decided to shift the meaning … turning “you’re right” into “your right” … as in their “right to choose” and purposefully (or not) twist the meaning. I found myself altering the quote to be “you are right” rather than “you’re right” to avoid this misunderstanding. I enjoyed your Christmas T-13 list too.

M thru S – You’re welcome. I enjoyed your list of places you’ve lived or visited. I realized after leaving a comment there just how different MY life has been for I lived in the same house from birth until marriage (24 years) and have lived in just two others since then ... (the first for 10 years and this one for almost 29). Maybe that explains the clutter in my surroundings?

Susan – Thanks for visiting and I’m happy you enjoyed the quotes. Your T-13 about using old guitar strings in creative ways would have come in handy earlier in my life … but not so much these days. I just leave the “old wires” on my guitar and let them drift a bit when I play my favorite folk songs.

Pussreboots – Thanks for stopping by and a happy T-13 to you as well. Your book reviews were wonderful and I’m keeping my list handy for my next visit to B&N.

Damozel – I’m glad you found them so, and we all enjoy love-links :)
Your winter photos are amazing in this week’s T-13 list … and I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting last week’s T-13 with all those cute animal videos.

Smiler – Ohmygosh --you and Monday through Sunday are such travelers that I’m a virtual homebody by comparison! I’m glad you found this collection of quotes worth your time. I’ve got tons more in the sidebars of both my blogs and on the walls of my home. ‘Tis good to be reminded of wisdom … especially in times of trouble.

Happy Thursday Thirteen to everyone!
Hugs and blessings,

Momisodes said...

Those are great....my personal favorite has always been 13 :) My 13 are up!

Peajay said...

Nice Thursday Thirteen Storyteller thank you for sharing. One sentiment that I try to live my life by and have engraved on my constantly worn bracelet is: "What is more important is not what happens to us but how we respond to what happens to us." Jean-Paul Sartre
Sláinte

Shannon said...

Thank you for this post. I found it today and it touched my heart. Blessings to you!

storyteller said...

Sandy – Thanks for stopping by and I’ll be over to check yours later tonight or tomorrow morning. I’ve been way too busy lately and there’s just not enough time in the day any more. I hope you’re feeling better. I loved your daughter’s post yesterday.

Peajay – Thanks for reminding me Peajay. That’s one of MY favorite ones too, but I didn’t think about it when creating this list. I think it’s in the sidebar of one of my blogs … though I’m not sure where (or which one) at the moment. It’s certainly true … and we’re wise to hold it in mind.

Shannon – Thanks for stopping by and for letting me know it’s special meaning for you today. I love it when things like this happen.
Hugs and blessings,

Kayce aka lucy said...

i think my favorite is #4 ("You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain), but #11 ("We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us. ... And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." Nelson Mandela) is a close second.

great list!

Nicholas said...

Excellent quotes. #1 is my fave!

storyteller said...

Lucy – You know how I love quotes … all you need do is check out my sidebar on both blogs. Choosing just 13 was a challenge, but perhaps I’ll repeat this topic down the line to feature some of my other favorites. This collection seemed appropriate for today and I’m not surprised you related most to #4 and 11. Thanks for your visit and feedback.

Nicholas – I appreciate you stopping by and leaving a trail to your blog. Like you, I usually prefer books to films, but your list of 13 books translated into film does capture some of the better movie versions out there. I’ve added your domain to my reader and will return as time permits.
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails