Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Thursday, August 14, 2008

T-13 #37 - Musings of my Mind this Morning

Make Time for Small Reflections
13 Musings of my Mind this Morning
(mostly about the Olympics it seems)

1. I'm frustrated with NBC's coverage of the Olympics ... holding events until 'prime time' instead of really broadcasting them LIVE because staying up until midnight here in Southern California to watch an event that's been over for HOURS seems silly to me. I did it the first few nights but have given up and now I end up watching the next morning ... trying to avoid 'news shows' so I don't learn of the results before I see the event itself. I'm currently watching the 'all around men's gymnastics event' from yesterday ... hoping my DVR will cooperate ... worried that it might fail me. Other networks like ABC manage to show the events at the 'actual time' live knowing most of us possess the technology to 'capture' and watch as time permits. I wish NBC would 'get this through their heads' and get with the program. I can't be the only frustrated viewer out here ... can I?

2. Methinks my DVR is about to give up the ghost and I'll need to call Time Warner Cable for a replacement sometime soon because some of the 'recorded' programs won't play today ... sigh! This kind of 'exchange' is always frustrating, but bothers me just a bit more today because of what's 'recorded' that I'll lose when they replace my old DVR with a new one ... so I'm in a quandry as I try to decide whether to let go of the old (sooner rather than later) in favor of what's ahead. Of course, there's no telling exactly when the cable guy would be able to get out here ... but since I'm caught up in the Olympics at the moment, I really want to see as much of it as possible. Decisions ... decisions ... LOL

3. How about that Michael Phelps? He's won 11 career gold medals (more than any other Olympic athlete in any sport) in 'new world record times' already and still has 3 events to go. I marvel at his 'schedule' during these Beijing games and wish him the best, but he does look more tired to me in each interview after his swims. At the age of 23, it's possible he could return in 4 years to swim in London ... but for now, I'm hoping he's got enough left in the tank for the 200m Individual Medley today, the 100m Butterfly on Friday, and the 4 by 100m Medley Relay on Saturday. Would someone get him a few new pair of goggles that won't fill with water, please?
Photo source: Yahoo Sports

4. How 'kewl' for China's women swimmers, Liu Zige and Jiao Liuyang, to take Gold & Silver in the 200m Butterfly in World Record time ... surprising everyone with the accomplishment, but disappointing Jess Schipper of Australia who took the Bronze!



5. How disappointing for the American Women's Gymnastics Team ... plagued by injury and mishap ... when they showed such promise. These two videos demonstrate what they're capable of doing ... but weren't able to do 'on the night' that mattered.


I'm sure we all 'feel' for Alicia Sacramone who would love to roll back the clock on her last two events in the team competition. I hope she can pull things together in the 'all-around' competition.

6. Can you believe these shots from Yahoo Photos (and the ones of the men's competition below) that I collaged with Photoshop? The expressions on their faces tell it all!
7. Watching Hiroyuki Tomita, the Japanese gymnast, fall from the 'rings' just now (watching last night's competition remember)... I'm hoping he's okay. I've never seen anything like that happen in competition previously. His left hand just slipped off the rings as he was preparing for his dismount and he was (in Tim Daggett's words) like a 'rag doll' as he fell to the floor.

8. Seems like Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh, defending Olympic women's beach volleyball champions, are on on track for a repeat performance as they advance to the championship bracket in Beijing.
Photo Source: Yahoo Sports
9. How surprising to learn this morning that 8th seeded American James Blake was able to 'oust' Roger Federer from these Olympics in straight sets ... Elena Dementieva of Russia defeated Serena Williams in 3 sets ... and Li Na of China took out Venus Williams ... 7-5, 7-5. I've got tennis 'recorded' but haven't seen any of those matches myself.
Photo source: Yahoo Sports
1o. Watching the men 'all around gymnasts' compete this morning was fun ... (though a bit sad without the Hamm brothers who were both sidelined with injuries). It's amazing to see what these guys do 'flying high' in the air. As expected Wei Yang of China took the Gold ... finishing almost 3 points ahead of Silver Medalist Kohei Uchimura of Japan. Benoit Caranobe of France won the Bronze after Fabian Hambuechen fell from the high bar and ended up 7th.
11. Alexander Artemev (2nd alternate for) the United States made the most of his Olympic experience ... saving the Bronze medal for Team USA with a wonderful performance on the pommel horse and finishing 12th in the 'all around' ... but Jonathon Horton couldn't quite 'stick' the landings in last night's competition and finished in 8th place.

12. I've enjoyed putting my PSE6 skills to effective use creating these collages from photos found at Yahoo Sports again this morning.

13. I had a nice 'catch up conversation' with my sister on the cellphone just now ... making this post even later than it might have been. She and her husband are both enjoying the sites and 'lobster meals' in coastal Maine ... hanging out as they wait for their 'mail' to catch up with them before the head south.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

For easy access, I’ve listed more T-13 links along with the Thursday Thirteen Blogroll at My Blog Rolls.

Small Reflections ... Smile Back
Thought for Today
"Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely." Auguste Rodin

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy TT and #12 was painful to watch I really hurt for him last night.
Fellow TT Participant

Barbara Doduk said...

Thanks for visiting my TT, great work on yours, wow so much info.

B @ The Love Blog

Anonymous said...

Your collages. They give a real feel for what I've been missing.

Ivanhoe said...

What a nice review, Storyteller! I hope Michael Phelps wins them all. He is a superman :o)
Little dissapointed at girls' gymnastic performance, but it's o.k.
I'm complaining about how late they are showing the events. I should be in bed by eleven, but it has not been happening these last few days as there is always some event that I want to watch pass my bedtime :o)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

You know, as addicted as I was to the Tour de France, I'm that UNaddicted to the Olympics. I think I've watched once or twice, and both times, I haven't been sucked in.

Ladykli said...

DVR's! Can't live with them, Can't live without them. It seems like they always mess up when you have something REALLY special you want to watch. Thanks for posting all the photos from the olympics. They were great to look at. Did you see on Yahoo news that Phelps eats 12,000 calories a day!!!!!

The Gal Herself said...

I'm not following the Olympics, but it seems to me that with 3 different channels (NBC, MSNBC and CNBC) somehow NBC could make watching the events easy for everyone! Mmmm ... lobster! What a lovely thought to close on. Thanks for visiting my TT.

Melanie said...

LOVE, love, LOVE, love the Olympics!!

Lori said...

Ive only watched a little of the Olympics and that was gymnastics. Im not much into sports:( Happy TT my friend and thanks for stopping by:)

Anonymous said...

Happy TT and thank you as always for stopping by. I have not really been following too much, but apparently my fellow Canadians are not doing very well :(

Anonymous said...

Very descriptive and informative post on the Olympics...I enjoyed it! I'm rooting for the Brits of course, although we don't usually get many medals, we do well in the rowing at least. I am a Michael Phelps fan though :)
Great TT, thank you!

Mine is at
http://bellamocha.wordpress.com/2008/08/15/thursday-thirteen-14/

Bella :)

Momisodes said...

Wow! I've been so bad about watching the Olympics. So glad I can come here for a great recap!

Maine is gorgeous :)

Hope your DVR starts working...

SJ Reidhead said...

Thanks for visiting the Pink Flamingo. My Olympic thoughts? How does Mark Spitz look in his speedo now?

LOL

SJR
The Pink Flamingo

Hootin Anni said...

Great coverage of the Olympics my friend!!!


Thanks for stopping by yesterday for my T-13. We had storms here, and in turn our computer was unplugged all day so I didn't get a chance to get any visiting done.

Have a terrific weekend!!

SandyCarlson said...

Michael Phelps is an amazing man.

I do with the volleyball women wore more than their underwear. I guess I'm a prude!

Hope the DVR doesn't quit at the wrong time!

Tammy said...

I too have been totally hooked on the Olympics. Yes this late stuff is getting to me too! Last night I couldn't stay up to see Michael Phelps swim. I feel asleep. This morning I found out he won, it's now his 6th. I'm so happy for him. I have enjoyed many of the events and hope I can stay awake tonight. Happy TT and thanks for visiting mine.

Anonymous said...

Is it just me or do the women in #6 look a little afraid?

storyteller said...

To everyone – Thanks for your visit and comments. I’m glad you’ve enjoyed my 'Photoshopped' Collages and my random thoughts about the various events I’ve watched. So far my DVR is hanging in there … just let me down on the one 3-hour segment that wouldn’t play … but it DID let me erase that one and seems to be recording okay at the moment. I was away from home all day yesterday (hanging out with a friend who needed some help) … so I’m doing what I can to catch up today … though the TENNIS matches have been LONG indeed. I do know the results of all … but want to SEE them anyway just because ;--)
I hope you’re all having a wonderful week.
Hugs and blessings,

Tina Coruth said...

Storyteller,

I love your photos! I have really enjoyed the Olympics. Michael Phelps and Darrah Torres have really captured my attention - big time! LOL

I agree with you about the timing coverage of NBC. I'm sooo tired. LOL

Hugs,
Tina

storyteller said...

Tina Coruth – Me too ... I'm so sleep deprived methinks I'll be relieved when the Olympics end (if a little sad as well). I appreciate you taking time to ‘catch up’ on all the posts since your last visit. You’re such a SUPER COMMENTER!!! Thanks ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails