Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Monday, August 4, 2008

My 300th post ... Fun Monday #17

Make Time for Small Reflections
This is my 300th post on this blog and my 509th overall! I'll celebrate my 1st Blogoversary in 79 days ... and I can't imagine how many posts I'll have published by then. Anyone care to estimate at this point?
FYI - I did finally respond to all comments left on the Fun Monday challenge posed by Irish Coffeehouse on 'the pursuit of dreams' ... so if you visited mine and don't check the little box to receive follow up comments in email (and if you have time today) ... you might click this link to read them ...(or not).
Today I'll celebrate by participating in
Fun Monday

This week's Fun Monday is hosted by Mothers of Brothers. She writes:

"So tell us about your favorite word… or if you can’t pick just one, tell us about a few. Are there certain words that feel good the way they roll off your tongue? Do some words make you feel smart? Or silly? Or happy? Which words do you find yourself selecting to put in your posts?"

My thoughts went to Wordle immediately realizing it was the quickest and simplest way to SEE what words I've used most often ... recently. I found and shared this nifty (if addictive) resource about 3 weeks ago in a Smiley Saturday post after creating 3 'wordles' as I was seeking input on a 'slogan' for this blog. If you click the link you'll see they're all a bit different in appearance, but use the same words. Clicking on the individual 'wordles' takes you to an enlarged version in the 'gallery' at Wordle.Net so they're easier to read.

I created the 'wordle' in the header above earlier this morning by entering the URL for Small Reflections, and the one below with the URL for Sacred Ruminations. As I experimented a bit just now, I've discovered the Wordle Site has stored all mine on a single 'gallery page' for 'storyteller' ... making them easy to locate later.


I love words of all kinds ... and these graphics show words I've actually used. The next one contains words from an 'edited version' of last week's Fun Monday challenge (I removed 'shall, rather, and some of the negatives' to focus on my suggestions) ... 'If I was Queen for a Year.'


... and the next using the text of a meditation from Louise Hay's YOU CAN HEAL YOUR LIFE that I shared last Monday at Sacred Ruminations:

Given the fact that I started this post almost 2 hours ago, methinks it may be impossible to select just a few favorite words to highlight ... yet 'reflection' does come to mind as I bring this post to a close. It has so many connotations and meanings:

reflection (plural reflections)

  1. the act of reflecting or the state of being reflected
  2. the property of a propagated wave being thrown back from a surface (such as a mirror)
  3. something, such as an image, that is reflected
    The dog barked at his own reflection in the mirror.
  4. careful thought or consideration
    After careful reflection, I have decided not to vote for that proposition.
  5. an implied criticism
    It is a reflection on his character that he never wavered in his resolve.
  6. (computing) The process or mechanism of determining the capabilities of an object at run-time.

Yet it does capture the essence of what I do in my journals and on my blogs ...
Small Reflections ... Smile Back
Thought for Today
"The way to get good ideas is to get lots of ideas, and throw the bad ones away." Linus Pauling

29 comments:

Pamela said...

lovely. I've done a "word cloud" before, very similar to "wordle"

C.O.N.G.R.A.T.U.L.A.T.I.O.N.S on your 300th post. Makes you think about all those words, doesn't it?

Sauntering Soul said...

I love, love, love the word reflection! I can't believe I forgot to include it in my post.

Congrats on 300 posts!

Jan said...

Great post, I used the wordles, too.

Raven said...

Interesting post. Congrats on 300. Now I have to go look up wordle. Sounds fascinating.

Dropped by to tell you that I just posted the Needs Meme.

Ivanhoe said...

My favorite word is: dandelion. Ever since I learnt that word as a kid. It just sounds great to me :o)

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Congratulations on your 500th post!!

Molly said...

Reflection is wonderful word with many beautiful meanings. I am in awe. Your 1st Blogoversary is more that two months from now, and you have already written 509 posts. Congratulations

Molly said...

I forgot to mention I like the Linus Pauling quote and so would my husband, the chemistry teacher.

Alison said...

Happy Anniversay..and congratulations!!! great post and great choice of word(s)...beautiful reflections!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your 300th post -- and I too love the word reflection. I love the verb "reflect" -- and I try to do it often in my life. Because its so important to not only think of how you are feeling but how that translates onto someone else. Thanks so much for sharing!!

SwampAngel65 said...

Congrats on your 300! You are a most prolific blogger, ma'am.

I love the wordles!! That is the neatest thing! I like what you've done. Very thoughtful words.

Robocop said...

Thanks for the Wordle link. Congrats on reaching 300. I am in a constant state of reflection.

Tiggerlane said...

I want to wordle, but can't get it to work! 300 posts - that's AMAZING! Congrats!

Faye said...

Thanks to you and Jan of the Prytz family for sharing "wordle" making--I can hardly wait to try this technique. When I did training in another life, I often did mindmapping which is a low tech version of wordles, do you think?

Eve said...

Interesting post. I, too, like reflections. Congratulations on your 300th post!!

Tina Coruth said...

Storyteller,

Congratulations on your 300th post! Wordle is a very cool program. I like the word Reflections. I would also include - reflector because that is the type of telescope I have! Great post!

hugs,
Tina

amanda said...

Love your visual 'wordles' as a way of responding to this Fun Monday challenge.
Congrats on your 300th!

NicciN said...

Great word choice. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Hmn, I think I'd be afraid to use the Wordle link... thanks for sharing it though and congrats!

Anonymous said...

oops, hit return too soon - that Mommy comment - that was me...

Big Momma said...

Congrats on your 300th post! Quite an accomplishment. And it was such a beautiful post to boot!

Hootin Anni said...

I always liked your blog titles. And Reflection is perfect. Wordle now, that's new to me. Will have to check it out. And the fact you say it's 'nifty'...well now, that's a word I used to use often! You did it to me now!! I just know I'm gonna pick that one up and use it over and over again.

Happy Tuesday.

Unknown said...

Great reflections! You used the wordle well. :) Reflecting on past posts to find your word. :)

Karen said...

What a good word choice--it has so many possibilities. When I think of favorite words, "melancholy" always pops into my mind. I love the way it feels in my mouth, I love that it has four syllables, I love the way it looks. Of course, I tend toward melancholy, as well, so perhaps that's part of its appeal.

storyteller said...

To all – Although I struggled initially with this week’s topic (and felt a bit like a ‘cheater’ for using the Wordles rather than being more decisive) … after visiting everyone and reading your comments, I’m feeling better about it all. My ‘process’ is often one of ‘reflective discovery through writing’ (actually has been for decades) … as evidenced by this post. One might think going with the word ‘reflection’ was an obvious choice after the fact … but it wasn’t initially.

I enjoyed learning new words and discovering the words selected by all participants (and visitors here). Once again, I feel enriched by Fun Monday as I have so many times in the past and I'm delighted to introduce several of you to the 'Wordles' resource. I appreciate your congratulatory well wishes on my blogging progress and acceptance of my 'prolific' wordy self. I’m grateful you visited … sharing your thoughts on mine, and hope you’re each having a delightful day.
Hugs and blessings,

Momisodes said...

WOW! Congrats on your 300th post! Time really does seem to have flown by :)

storyteller said...

test

storyteller said...

It looks like the same thing happened to comments HERE that happened at Sacred Ruminations between yesterday and today. I tried to leave a response to Sandy's comment here yesterday, but Blogger was 'down' ... so I saved it to add today. However, when I returned, her comment was gone. Because of my experience with the Monday Motivator post comments at Sacred Ruminations, as a test, I typed 'test' and saved it as a comment ... and Sandy's comment showed up. I suppose when I try to publish THIS, that 'test' comment will appear instead ... so I'm going to copy this to paste in the NEXT comment and see what happens. It's all very strange ... and I can't help but wonder if other comments have disappeared on my blogs and the blogs of others. If so, will they all show up eventually? 'Tis a puzzlement.

Sandy – It’s pretty amazing to consider actually. I never would have guessed when I started that I’d be so prolific … though in retrospect I have filled MANY journals with wordz over the yearz ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

storyteller said...

It looks like the same thing happened to comments HERE that happened at Sacred Ruminations between yesterday and today. I tried to leave a response to Sandy's comment here yesterday, but Blogger was 'down' ... so I saved it to add today. However, when I returned, her comment was gone. Because of my experience with the Monday Motivator post comments at Sacred Ruminations, as a test, I typed 'test' and saved it as a comment ... and Sandy's comment showed up. I suppose when I try to publish THIS, that 'test' comment will appear instead ... so I'm going to copy this to paste in the NEXT comment and see what happens. It's all very strange ... and I can't help but wonder if other comments have disappeared on my blogs and the blogs of others. If so, will they all show up eventually? 'Tis a puzzlement.

Sandy – It’s pretty amazing to consider actually. I never would have guessed when I started that I’d be so prolific … though in retrospect I have filled MANY journals with wordz over the yearz ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails