Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #17 - Tennis Champions

Happy Easter Everyone!
Thanks to Hootin' Anni for the cool header

Pacific Life Open Tennis Champions
2008 Event is happening now
in Indian Wells, CA
March 10 - 23

Yesterday's 4th round match between Nadal and Tsonga was close and exciting to the very end. You might recall how Tsonga defeated Nadal unexpectedly (and soundly) in Australia earlier this year. The first two sets yesterday went to tiebreaks with Tsonga winning the first, and Nadal the second. Tsonga had a set point in the 3rd set but Nadal's heart and determination kicked in ... and Rafa took his revenge.


Winners from the last 13 years
in the Annual Pacific Life Open Mens and Womens Masters Event

Mens Singles Tournament
2007 - Rafael Nadal defeated Novak Djokovic 6-2, 7-5
2006 - Roger Federer defeated James Blake 7-5, 6-3, 6-0
2005 - Roger Federer defeated Lleyton Hewitt 6-2, 6-4, 6-4
2004 - Roger Federer defeated Tim Henman 6-3, 6-3
2003 - Lleyton Hewitt defeated Gustavo Kuerten 6-1, 6-1
2002 - Lleyton Hewitt defeated Tim Henman 6-1, 6-2
2001 - Andre Agassi defeated Pete Sampras 7-6, 7-5, 6-1
2000 - Alex Corretja defeated Thomas Enqvist 6-4, 6-4, 6-3
1999 - Mark Philippoussis defeated Carlos Moya 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
1998 - Marcelo Rios defeated Greg Rusedski 6-3, 6-7, 7-6
1997 - Michael Chang defeated Bohdan Ulihrach 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
1996 - Michael Chang defeated Paul Haarhuis 7-5, 6-1, 6-1
1995 - Pete Sampras defeated Andre Agassi 7-5, 6-3, 7-5

Women's Singles Tournament
2007 - Hantuchova defeated Kuznetsova 6-3, 6-4
2006 - Maria Sharapova defeated Elena Dementieva 6-1, 6-2
2005 - Kim Clijsters defeated Lindsay Davenport 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
2004 - Justine Henin defeated Lindsay Davenport 6-1, 6-4
2003 - Kim Clijsters defeated Lindsay Davenport 6-4, 7-5
2002 - Daniela Hantuchova defeated Martina Hingis 6-3, 6-4
2001 - Serena Williams defeated Kim Clijsters 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
2000 - Lindsay Davenport defeated Martina Hingis 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
1999 - Serena Williams defeated Steffi Graf 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
1998 - Martina Hingis defeated Lindsay Davenport 6-3, 6-4
1997 - Lindsay Davenport defeated Irina Spirlea 6-2, 6-1
1996 - Steffi Graf defeated Conchita Martinez 7-6, 7-6
1995 - Mary Joe Fernandez defeated Natasha Zvereva 6-4, 6-3

Trophy for this Annual Event

Click for additional information about the Pacific Life Open and photos of players.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

Get the Thursday Thirteeen code here!

For easy access, I’ve listed more T-13 links along with the
Thursday Thirteen Blogroll to the bottom of my sidebar.

Thought for Today
"Tennis is a perfect combination of violent action taking place in an atmosphere of total tranquillity." Billie Jean King

21 comments:

Laura Paxton said...

I don't get to watch tennis as much as I would like. Great list and that trophy is beautiful! Happy T-13!

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Love tennis. I get to take my mom (a huge fan and player) to the US Open this year. It will be her first trip to NY - so excited! Great list.

Anonymous said...

I'm lost without the 1-13 count. I don't usually watch or play. Might watch the wild goat in my friend Ed's barn, jumping on his old radiator though.

Anonymous said...

I use to play tennis all the time when I was younger but grew out of it. I wish I could find someone that likes to play so I could play again! Happy TT

marcia@joyismygoal said...

so the winner is then a shark?

SandyCarlson said...

I love to watch tennis and admire those who can play. I was born to be a fan, I think!

PS Thanks for giving Earth Hour a try!

Hootin Anni said...

I love tennis...used to play it when I was a teenager....oh about a century ago, at least!! It is exciting when it's so close like this.

Happy Thursday

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I haven't followed tennis in YEARS. I'm not sure why I stopped; it just sort of happened.

And yes, do hang out at my place more so you can keep up with everyone. It's a fun place lately! (btw, did you see the free .pdf at my website?)

storyteller said...

Laura – I always watch the 4 majors but often miss the smaller championships. I do love to watch and once used to play … eons ago.

Gray Matters – I’d love to go to the US Open in person! Actually
Indian Wells is just a few hours away from here so I could actually go … if I had the time to spare.

Colleen – Sorry I didn’t number them today. There are two lists of 13 actually … one for men and the other women. I dumped the numbering in order to keep the font size readable and the text from wrapping ;--)

Kat – Actually, I sometimes wish the same thing. Tennis is good exercise and lots of fun. My sister and I played until she developed bone spurs on the bottoms of her feet and couldn’t play any longer.

Marcia – Methinks it’s a whale, but you could be right ;--)

SandyCarlson – You’re welcome. I appreciate you making the info available. I miss lots of ‘stuph’ because I no longer watch TV or read newspapers on any kind of regular basis.

Hootin’ Anni – My brother taught me to play when I was 12 and I played competitively in college … recreationally for decades after. I’ve always loved to watch it too … especially the close matches. I’m watching Blake vs Gasque at the moment and looking forward to the winner of this match (looks like it will be Blake at the moment) playing Nadal in the next round.

Susan – I know how that happens … there’s only so much time in the day! I’d love to ‘hang out’ at your place more often … if I wasn’t ‘distracted’ by ‘real life’ and my own blogging … tennis … gardening … friends and family … and reading, not to mention my own writing and Molly’s demands. I don’t know how I ever had time to work … Seriously!

Thanks to all of you for stopping by and commenting on my T-13 today. If I’ve not been to your blog yet, I will be there as time permits … I promise.
Hugs and blessings,

Open Grove Claudia said...

Oh shoot - I don't know anything about tennis. We played it as kids and I didn't like it much, so I avoid it like the plague. I love that you are excited and passionate about it! Hurray!

Happy TT!

Kaige said...

I never got into tennis. One of my friends would beg me to play with her so she could practice, but we always ended up playing "Chase" instead. No control whatsoever. =(

Happy TT!
http://impulsivehearts.wordpress.com/

Mia Celeste said...

Nice tennis photos. Happy TT!

pussreboots said...

Neat trophy. Happy TT. Thanks for stopping by.

Momisodes said...

I'm terrible. I only recognized 5 people from both lists combined!! And most were from way back when :( GReat job compiling this list though. I wish I was better at playing tennis. My brother loves it, and it's great exercise.

Anonymous said...

I love tennis too...would love to go to the US Open one day. I've been to Wimbledon a few times- that's an experience in itself and I love it there. Great T13 list, and an unusual one; thank you!

Mine's up at:
http://bellamocha.wordpress.com/2008/03/20/thursday-thirteen-7

Anonymous said...

I've never been much of a tennis fan, but Happy Easter and Happy TT!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Whoa, I'm so impressed with that talent!

Karen said...

I love witnessing others' passions--I'm glad you're having such fun!

Lori's Light Extemporanea said...

Wow! I'm totally impressed! Thanks for visiting my TT yesterday.

Tina Coruth said...

Storyteller,

That is a beautiful trophy!!

hugs,
Tina

storyteller said...

Claudia – I feel much the same about other 'spectator' sports. It’s good to have options ;--)

Kaige – It was my brother who taught me … when I was 12 and he was 21. I’ve loved the game ever since.

Brenda – Happy T-13 to you also. Thanks for leaving the link so I could find your blog too.

Pussreboots – I always enjoy your T-13s!

Sandy – There are lots of new young players rising fast … challenging but not yet overtaking Federer … yet.

Bella Mocha – Me too! I’d love to go to Wimbledon too ;--)

Joely – Happy T-13 and Easter to you too! Thanks for your visit.

MamaGeek – Why thank you ;--)

Karen – I am enjoying the matches because the play has been so well-matched thus far. I hope this kind of ‘quality’ carries through the remaining matches too.

Lori – You’re welcome … and thanks.

Tina – This trophy is one of the nicer looking ones in my humble opinion.

It’s fun to find all these comments upon returning from my walk with Molly and before the afternoon matches begin. Thanks for stopping by today and Happy Easter to all of you!
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails