Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Saturday, March 15, 2008

An emailed message worth sharing

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the
1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because ...

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were OK.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! No Internet or chat rooms......

WE HAD FRIENDS
and we went outside and found them!


We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good .

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:
"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

For those that prefer to think
that God is not watching over us,
go ahead and ignore this.

For the rest ... pass it ON

20 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

I've gotten this message by e-mail too....I love it. It's a nice reminder I think. Happy St. Paddy's Day coming up Virginia...

Joyce said...

Good Morning, Virginia,
Even as a kid, I was a realist, and could visualize what would happen, for example, if the car should stop suddenly. I really did wonder why we didn't have seat belts, way back when!

I think a stronger sense of community back when you and I were growing up made it safer for kids to be out and about all day on their own. We knew our neighbors and cared about them. In most homes, there was a mom who was there all day, and who could be called upon for help if someone was hungry, lost or hurt.

All in all, though, I enjoyed the neighborhood games of tag and hide-and-seek, going for hours long bike rides with friends, and playing by (and in)the irrigation ditches.

Thanks for something to think about. This could be fuel for further discussion!

Akelamalu said...

I've seen this before but it never fails to amaze me when I read it that we did survive! :)

Thanks for reminding me.

Momisodes said...

What a great list! Some of it does boggle the mind :) I was a child only for a little bit of the 70's, but I do remember not buckling seat belts, my father never did! Whenever my mom comes to visit she is always so confused about the car seat thing. She always said "we used to ride with you guys on our laps!"

NicciN said...

Thanks for sharing this. I remember those days of playing all day until the street lights come on and wandering around the neighborhood. It makes me glad that my sons favorite thing is to play outside.

Mike Golch said...

when I was young,we had better neighbors,they actually talked to one an other they knew who's kids were whoms.they would allow the kids to come and go and not worry because the neighbors were lookinh out fot the kids,and heaven help the one who stepped out of bounds.they got their buts warmed in school and when they got home and were dumb enough to complain got them warmed again. we all turned out pretty good I think. You know what we really need to go back to that place,and get a new generation on the right track again.That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Mike Golch said...

I cheated and put a link up as a blog so peopls can come here and read this for themsselves.

Mary said...

Virginia,

I did all of those things and have lived over half a century. We had FUN. Not many of us were killed doing any of this stuff and yes, my brother and I had a BB gun, but were raised around guns and taught to use them properly. I was shooting a 22 rifle at 12 years old and knew how to use it.

Kids today can't even throw a snowball and now they want them to wear helmets for sledding. I've taught the boys if they are heading toward a tree or some other obstacle to roll off of the sleigh and they do...

It's sad that kids today don't play outside or have much fun. Childhood isn't like it used to be and I'm glad I was a Baby Boomer. We risked life and limb according to today's standard but we enjoyed life.

Thanks for sharing this.

Blessings,
Mary

Karen said...

Adults seemed to trust each other more back then--everyone wasn't viewed as a potential threat.

Also--people stayed put--you knew who your neighbors were. I've lived in my house for seven years, and in that short time, at least a dozen families within a block radius have moved. It's gotten to where I hold myself back and don't even attempt to connect on anything beyond a superficial level--in the back of my head there's a "What's the point?" thought.

But since I don't know that many of my neighbors (and they're always changing), I don't feel comfortable just turning my son loose (especially since he's not quite five).

I do think most things are better (car seats are a good, GOOD thing!), but yes, I do miss other aspects of my childhood. I, too, roamed the neighborhood all day, playing with one child, playing with huge groups of children. I wouldn't even think about coming home until my mother stood on the front porch and yelled my name (how that echoed through the neighborhood!), and then other mothers or fathers would start yelling other kids' names. And there'd be this massive movement, like little insects we'd come out of other houses, down from trees, in from the field behind the houses, and back into our homes. We'd get fed, and bathed, maybe watch one show on tv (from the one set in the house) and then off to bed. And then the sun would rise and it would begin all over again.

storyteller said...

Wow – who knew this ‘shared email’ would evoke such interesting comments? Thank you all for articulating your points of view so clearly. I’m reminded of a quote that says:

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me." ~~ Dudley Field Malone

Joy – Happy St. Paddy’s Day to you too ;--)

Joyce – When I was a kid we had no seatbelts in cars and I don’t think I gave it a thought, but as a teacher riding a school bus with kids for decades … I did (and still do) think about this one.

Akelamalu – Yez -- Remembering the ‘good-ole dayz’ can be phun. LOL

Sandy – In the 40s and 50s (when I was a kid) there weren’t very many freeways and people seemed to drive with a bit more ‘common sense’ than folks do today.

Yertle – You’re welcome. I enjoyed the walk down ‘memory lane’ myself.

Mike – Yup! If we kids did anything ‘questionable’ … my folks knew before we got home and held us accountable … ‘just because’ … without listening to ‘our side’ of the story. Thanks for adding the link-love at your blog.

Mary – I know what you mean. I understand ‘the world has changed’ … but for me it’s a bit of a chicken or egg question. Is it less safe today because society’s changed … or has society changed because it’s ‘less safe’ somehow? Perhaps it's a bit of both ... and other things too.

Karen – With the transient rate being what it is, I suspect I’d be wary of letting a 5 year old roam the neighborhood too … yet the memories you describe of your own childhood ‘mirror’ my own and it seems sad that today’s kids won’t know that kind of life (unless we tell them our stories).

This was fun! I love the diversity of opinions expressed here … and I’m hopeful others will jump in and give us their two cents worth! Thanks everybody … and have a wonderful weekend!!!
Hugs and blessings,

Roswila said...

Hi storyteller, Roswila (Patricia) from OSI here. I was wondering if there was an author mentioned for this wonderful email about "survival." And/or if it could be emailed to me, too. I'd love to post it to my blog. As a 64 year old (living, by the way, outside Santa Barbara CA) in a retirement community I really get this! :-D

Anonymous said...

I've read this before and love reading it again!! It goes right along with being a "mean mom". Love your site!

Betty said...

I have seen this email before, but it's always good to read again.

Love your thought for the day.

Betty

storyteller said...

Roswila – I sent an email response yesterday but didn’t want to ignore you today as I respond to comments in public as is my custom. I live a few hours south of you … also in California, but not in a retirement community even though I just celebrated my 63rd birthday. It’s nice to meet you.

Rindy and Betty
Thanks to each of you for visiting Small Reflections and leaving a comment. When I posted this I had no idea it would ‘spark controversy’ … but I do enjoy ‘fireworks’ and lively conversation. For me, it was an enjoyable walk down mem’ry lane ;--)

I hope all three of you had a wonderful weekend and are enjoying a delightful day!
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

Great list - I love it, have seen it somewhere a while back.

Up to today I miss running with the boys through the forest and having fun all day long....

storyteller said...

Nicole – I’m happy you enjoyed this. I’m sure it’s been circulating forever because I’ve seen it repeatedly too. I just needed something quick and easy to post over the weekend because life’s been busy.

I’m way behind on your photographs, but they’re waiting for me in Google Reader and I’ll get to them eventually … when I can stop to actually enjoy them. That may not happen today, however, because I’ve got lots of errands on my ‘to do’ list in the ‘real’ world right now.

I hope all is well with you and yours. I wish you could 'run through the forest with the boys' ... but hope you find a way to have a delightful day where you are ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Teena in Toronto said...

So true!

storyteller said...

Teena – Thanks for stopping by and leaving a link to your blog so I can visit in return.
Hugs and blessings,

Tina Coruth said...

Wow, Storyteller! That email is right on. I was smiling and nodding my head all the way through reading it. In my neighborhood, we had to go in the house when the street light came on! Thanks for posting this. :-)

hugs,
Tina

storyteller said...

Tina – I thought so too. I’m happy you enjoyed reading it ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails