Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #9 - Federer's Wins


Roger Federer's Grand Slam Singles Wins

1. 2003 Wimbledon against Mark Philippoussis 7-6, 6-2, 7-6

2. 2004 Australian Open against Marat Safin 7-6, 6-4, 6-2

3. 2004 Wimbledon against Andy Roddick 4-6, 7-5, 7-6, 6-4

4. 2004 U. S. Open against Lleyton Hewitt 6-0, 7-6, 6-0

5. 2005 Wimbledon against Andy Roddick 6-2, 7-6, 6-4

6. 2005 U. S. Open against Andre Agassi 6-3, 2-6, 7-6, 6-1

7. 2006 Australian Open against Marcos Baghdatis 5-7, 7-5, 6-0, 6-2

8. 2006 Wimbledon against Rafael Nadal 6-0, 7-6, 6-7, 6-3

9. 2006 U. S. Open against Andy Roddick 6-2, 4-6, 7-5, 6-1

10. 2007 Australian Open against Fernando Gonzalez 7-6, 6-4, 6-4

11. 2007 Wimbledon against Rafael Nadal 7-6, 4-6, 7-6, 2-6, 6-2

12. 2007 U. S. Open against Novak Djokovic 7-6, 7-6, 6-4

13. 2008 Australian Open -- Will he win this Championship again this year? We'll know soon. Addendum added 1-25-08: Federer lost the Semi-Final Match to Djokovic 5-7, 3-6, 6-7 so he'll need to wait awhile longer for his 13th Grand Slam Title.

In addition to these wins, Federer played (and lost to) Rafael Nadal in the last two French Open Championships.

Bonus Tennis Info
Most Grand Slam Men's Singles Titles
1. Pete Sampras 14
2. Roy Emerson 12
3. Roger Federer 12
4. Rod Laver 11
5. Bjorn Borg 11

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

Get the Thursday Thirteeen code here!

For easy access, I’ve listed more T-13 links along with the Thursday Thirteen Blogroll to the bottom of my sidebar.

Thought for Today
“Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.” Rumi

30 comments:

Lori said...

Im not much of a tennis buff unless im the one playing. Sports on TV bore me terribly:) They sound like great stats though. Happy TT and thanks for stopping by.

Kristina Knight said...

Roger is one of my favorites!! What a cutie. :)

Happy TT!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

None of the matches seemed overpowered by one player, thank heaven. That's always cringe-worthy.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't even know who he is!

Open Grove Claudia said...

ok.... I don't know who that is.... Gosh, I'm amazingly embarassed....

Happy TT anyway! :)

Anonymous said...

This is a really great idea for a Thirteen. I gotta do hockey some day.

Very entertaining.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Man, I haven't followed tennis in SO long. It took me a good minute to place Federer's name!

Mia Celeste said...

I love your thought for the day.

storyteller said...

Lori – I don’t watch any other sports, but tennis is an obsession … especially when it comes to the Grand Slams. You’re welcome for the visit. As a former public school teacher, I appreciated your list of things to teach teens.

Kristi – He’s not only cute, he’s amazingly talented! He’s certainly spoiled the careers of several players … taking wins they might have had from them.

Julia – It’s surprising how often a tennis match is won or lost by just a few points played at critical times. Roger seems to play the BIG points better than others by raising his game when needed.

Colleen and Claudia – Not to worry … I don’t know who football, soccer or baseball players are. Unless you follow tennis, I wouldn’t expect you to know who he is … although he HAS set some amazing records and is breaking old ones all the time for one so young. He’s spoiled the careers of many other players who would have won some of his 12 Grand Slams if he wasn’t around.

Rian – Thanks. I wasn’t sure anyone else out there in the virtual world was paying attention to the Australian Open, but I’ve been a bit obsessed these past 11 days or so. I’ll get an education when you do because I know NOTHING at all about hockey.

Susan – It’s one of the few sports I do follow. I played when I was younger, but these days my body doesn’t recover so quickly when I “abuse” it competitively. LOL I’m happy to provide a refresher.

Brenda - Thanks … I love to use quotes for inspiration, and it seemed appropriate for today’s T-13 topic because Roger clearly loves the game of tennis.

Today Federer will play Djokovic and Nadal plays Tsonga in the semi-final matches. The winner of each will play in the Championship match on Sunday. All of those match-ups should be exciting to watch! If someone other than Roger wins, it will be BIG news in tennis! Happy T-13ing everyone!
Hugs and blessings,

SandyCarlson said...

You are clearly a loyal fan!
God bless your day, and thanks for stopping by Writing in Faith. Peace.

Karen said...

This entry is making me chuckle--I love the pairing of the Rumi quote with the tennis info!

Anonymous said...

Wow, he sounds like quite a winner! (I don't follow tennis so I don't even recognize the guy's name.) Happy TT!

Karen said...

I used to follow tennis years ago but haven't recently. He sounds like someone I'd really like to watch again! Thanks for the info!
Happy TT and thanks for stopping by!

pussreboots said...

I don't follow tennis so I've never heard of him. Happy TT and thanks for stopping by.

storyteller said...

Sandy – Yes, you could definitely say I am and be absolutely correct! LOL

Karen – (smiling here as I type) I hesitated only briefly when making that decision, but Federer so clearly loves the game that it seemed too perfect to pass up.

Joely – Roger’s so talented it’s a bit disconcerting. If he wasn’t such a nice guy, people could be a bit irritated with him … but he’s also classy so even the other players like him. This is the first year he’s shown any vulnerability in a very long time, but even through the Tipsarevic match, it was hard to believe he’d lose … and, of course, he didn’t.

Lara – Even if you don’t follow tennis, Federer is amazing to watch. He has every shot (and some that seem impossible), can play the baseline and at the net, moves with speed … grace … and agility, and can serve his way out of trouble. He does it all and has been #1 for YEARS now without a break. It’s all pretty awesome.

Pussreboots – Thanks for stopping by and saying hi anyway.

I’m looking forward to the men’s semi-final matches later today.
Hugs and blessings,

Eve said...

I don't follow tennis or any other sport. Well, I do watch figure skating. When I got my divorce 32 years ago I left tv sports behind me forevermore! However, I keep stopping in because you always include some little gem for those of us who could care less about the game. Thanks for the quote.

Momisodes said...

Okay...I think someone is way obsessed with tennis these days ;)

Love that you keep track of the stats...and love the quote today. Great TT!

Melissa said...

Wow...you really are a tennis fan!

Have you considered a 12 step program? Just kidding!

And he is nice eye candy, too. :)

Cynthia said...

I played tennis in college...Great list. Fwiw, I was a Borg fanatic!

Sandee said...

I don't follow sports, but I do know how difficult it is to play tennis. Have a great TT. :)

Kayce aka lucy said...

you are a tennis maniac!! but i imagine you already know that :-)

Maude Lynn said...

Love that Rumi quote!

Anonymous said...

That name is new to me, I'm afraid.

Robin said...

I don't follow tennis at all, but it sounds like this guy's got it together.

Anonymous said...

Amazing! I use to love to play tennis when I was younger but haven't played in a long time. Thanks for stopping by.

storyteller said...

Eve – You’re welcome for the quote. I’ve been known to watch figure skating myself, but not quite so obsessively as I watch Grand Slam tennis.

Sandy – I make no excuses because I watch no other sports (except the Olympics). Federer’s record is phenomenal. Just about every time he plays these days he breaks another record.

Melissa – Let’s see … 12-step programs. Nope, I can’t say that I have … but I’ll keep it in mind if blogging gets out of hand. As for eye-candy, he’s not as “buff” Nadal and Djokovic, but he’s quite a dashing fellow. You’ve probably seen him with Tiger Woods in Gillette commercials. They’ve become good friends in recent years.

Nap Warden – I played competitive tennis in college and for pleasure throughout most of my life. Borg was amazing, but Andre Agassi, Jimmy Connors and Pete Sampras were favorites of mine.

Sandee – Thanks … I love Thursday Thirteen because it’s an opportunity to meet so many bloggers and learn new things too.

Lucy – Yes … I do know that … and perhaps I’m becoming a blogging maniac since today’s Haiku is my 100th post here at Small Reflections. Tomorrow will be my 100th at Sacred Ruminations. It boggles my mind to consider.

Mama Zen – I love it too! Somehow it seemed appropriate given Federer’s love of the game and record so far.

Nicholas – (smiling here as I type) Now you know how I feel when I read your T-13s each week. It’s good to learn new things, however.

Robin – He’s foiled many an opponent and until recently seemed almost invincible. The younger players are catching up however.

Kat – I learned the game from my older brother when I was 12 and played it for decades myself. You’re most welcome.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your comments. Feedback is always fun!
Hugs and blessings,

Tink said...

I think I have seen all of those matches. I love to watch tennis, esp. grand slam tournaments.
Thanks for visiting my 13 books TT.

storyteller said...

Tink – You and me both! Federer’s career has been phenomenal. It’s nice to find another tennis fan out there in the Blogosphere as there don’t seem to be many of us. You’re welcome for the visit. I love meeting new bloggers and learning new things on Thursdays.
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite tennis players. One of the best!!

storyteller said...

Grace - Another Federer fan :)
Thanks for visiting. I enjoyed your T-13 this week and wondered how you came to live in Dubai. I'll return when time permits to read more.
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails