Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #8 - Books for Kids of All Ages by Bill Peet


Thirteen of My Favorite Books by Bill Peet
(with links to information about each one
complete with illustrations)

Bill Peet was hired as an animator by Walt Disney himself. During his tenure there, he became the top writer-illustrator for Disney Studios. Always with a second career in the back of his mind, Peet left Disney after 27 years to begin a new creative adventure. He wrote and illustrated more than 35 picture books (many in rhyme) that never failed to instruct, stimulate, and amaze children (and the adults in their lives). I loved to read these books aloud to students of all ages who, in turn, loved to read them on their own once they acquired 4th grade reading skills. They're funny, imaginative, and often contain upstanding, underlying messages about life and living. If you like Dr. Seuss ... you'll love Bill Peet!

1. Chester the Worldly Pig

2. The Wingdingdilly

3. Wump World

4. Buford the Little Bighorn

5. How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head

6. Huge Harold

7. Kermit the Hermit

8. The Pinkish Purplish Bluish Egg

9. The Spooky Tail of Prewitt Peacock

10. Big Bad Bruce

11. The Caboose Who Got Loose

12. The Ant and the Elephant

13. Hubert's Hair-Raising Adventure

If you'd like to know more,
go to Bill Peet's Story for a short autobiography
along with more about his inspiration and drawings.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

Get the Thursday Thirteeen code here!

For easy access, I’ve listed more T-13 links along with the Thursday Thirteen Blogroll to the bottom of my sidebar.

Thought for Today

"The liberally educated person is one who is able to resist the easy and preferred answers not because he is obstinate but because he knows others worthy of consideration." Allan Bloom

25 comments:

suchsimplepleasures said...

i'm going to have to look into those books!! never heard of him or the books and i love kids books!!
have an awesome tt!

Anonymous said...

The Ant and the Elephant is one of my faves!!

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, thanks for the list of books...as a new grandmother I'm always looking for kids books.

Anonymous said...

Bill Peet looks really neat!

Happy Thursday.

Unknown said...

I so have to get Chester the Worldly Pig lol Thanks for the heads up! Happy T13!

Karen said...

I can't believe I've never heard of any of these books--I think it's time for another trip to the library with Nathan!

DoubleDeckerBusGuy said...

It's a memory kinda day with the lists today... and I can't agree with you more about Bill Peet and if you like Seuss, you'll like him! Many of those books bring back the memories, as stated... and I remember being very sad when he passed a few years back... mind you, I do believe he was in his late 80's and had a very good life, but I was still a little sad.

Open Grove Claudia said...

Jiminy cricket is my favorite Disney character and he drew him! In fact, he plays the role of death in one of my books. Very fun to learn something so completely new.

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

I use to be way into children's literature but I don't know any of these. My kids favorites where Where the Wild Things Are Tikitikitembonosarembo, The Velveteen Rabbit and so many others.

pussreboots said...

I remember about half the books on your list from my childhood. The one I remember best is the Caboose Who Got Loose. Happy TT and thanks for stopping by.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

So much for me knowing lots about children's lit... the name's familiar, but that's about it.

I'll have to look into it. One never outgrows good children's lit.

Zenmomma said...

I had never heard of this author before. They look very sweet.

Maude Lynn said...

I don't think that I've read any of these. Thanks for the list!

Eve said...

Never heard of Bill or his books. I'll have to add him to my library list. Maybe if I read a few "picture" books I'll get closer to completing my 50-book challenge.

You can find my 13 here.

storyteller said...

SSP – I’m glad to introduce you to someone new. These are wonderful read-alouds that make favorite “reads” once kids get older and can read for themselves.

SA Mama – I had trouble choosing my “faves” because I love all his books so much, but I started with the ones I remembered best … then went from there. In finding the links later, I remembered others … but stuck with my initial list.

Lazy Daisy – You’re welcome. I’m happy to be of service and I suspect you’ll love these.

FBT – You’d know his Disney film work right away, but apparently not everyone knows of his books.

Adelle – I’m happy to share! I hope you enjoy Chester as much as I did. It has a surprise ending kids love!

Karen – Oh definitely! You’ll be hooked … and so will he. The language and illustrations capture attention and help kids remember the stories.

DDBG – Yeah … me too. I think he died in 2002 … shortly after I retired, but I don’t know how old he was. I actually met him once and he was a character!

Claudia – How fascinating! I’m happy to point the way for some fun discoveries.

Colleen – I’ve not kept up with new authors since I retired, but I remember the ones I used in my classroom for 34 years. I do browse children’s books in B&N occasionally just to see what’s new and to buy for my grand-nieces and nephews. The whole family expects books and/or journals from me as gifts.

Pussreboots – Yup … that’s a good one all right. I’m glad to know there are folks out there who know about Bill Peet’s books.

Susan – What you say about never outgrowing Children’s Lit is so true! I hope you like what you find.

Zenmomma – They’re quite special in many ways … similar to, but different from the work of Dr. Seuss.

Mama Zen – Baby Puppy will laugh with delight when you share these with her and learn some valuable lessons about life too.

Barb – Hope you had a good flight. I’m happily retired and will leave money-making ventures to others thanks.

Eve – I love children’s lit even today … and these are great fun! I think you’ll enjoy them in between other “reads” this year.

I love Thursday Thirteen! It’s fun to visit YOUR blogs to see what you’ve shared and to find all these lovely comments when I return. Thanks so much and happy T-13ing to everyone. If I’ve not been to your blog already today, I’ll try to visit later today or during the week ahead.
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of those! Thanks for the info!

www.mamapj.com

Cheerio said...

The only one I know is Kermit the Hermit. The rest are all new to me.
Thanks for the visit.

Kara said...

I've never heard of these books or this author - but I'm volunteering for the local library soon and so I'll see if they have any copies.

I am glad you've given so many potential readers a new author to read. That is blogging at it's best!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this author, but those titles look intriguing.

Robin said...

Add me to the never heard of him list, but I'll definitely be checking them out!

storyteller said...

Thriving – I’m happy to introduce you to Bill Peet’s work.

Cheerio – You have special treats ahead if you explore the rest. They’re all special.

Kara – I’m happy to spread the word too. These are such familiar works to me, it’s hard to realize others don’t know about them … but perhaps that’s why my intuition led me to this T-13 topic today?

Nicholas – They’re written for kids, but I love all the stories … illustrations … and language for myself.

Robin – I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Thanks to all of you for visiting and sharing your thoughts on my T-13 this week.
Hugs and blessings,

NicciN said...

Maybe I should take up Thursday Thirteens also. It sounds fun. I am excited for book recommendations for my little ones as well.

storyteller said...

Yertle – I’ve found Thursday Thirteen fun to do so far. These ARE wonderful books to share with kids … and when they learn to read, they love to revisit them on their own.
Hugs and blessings,

Sonya said...

I'll have to check these out! I'm going to the library soon so it'll be fun to search for these!

storyteller said...

Sonya – I used to own copies of every one, but when I retired from teaching in June of 2001 … I gave everything away to other teachers because I didn’t want to add to the “stuph” I’d accumulated at home. Sometimes I wish I’d kept a few special children’s books … but I’m glad these books are out in the schools being enjoyed by kids instead of taking up space on my overcrowded bookshelves.
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails