Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Thursday's Thoughts & A Couple of Chuckles

While many of you are experiencing 'autumn' and some even 'snow' ... here in Southern California we have 3 days of gusty winds (20-60mph) and temperatures in the 90s ahead, followed by several days in the mid-80s as winds decrease in speed. Of course fire danger is high once again. I'm really ready for some cooler temperatures and rainy days, but I guess it will be a while before we experience those changes.
Photobucket
Today is the Great Southern California Shakeout. At 10am there will be a simulated 7.8 earthquake centered in the Palm Springs area on the San Andreas Fault ... affecting all of Southern California. A seismic event of this magnitude is expected to result in 18,000 deaths and $200 billion in damages. Apparently we have a 46% chance of experiencing such an earthquake in the next 30 years. I remember 'practice events' from my days as a teacher. They often took several hours to complete. With today's warmer WINDY weather, I'm relieved I'm no longer teaching.

I'm a native of California and have lived through many earthquakes, some more frightening than others. They're a 'fact of life' here ... much like tornados in the Midwest & hurricanes in the Gulf states. If you're interested & have time you can click for a 'clickable map' of Historic Earthquakes in Southern California. Here's a fascinating chronological listing of earthquakes from 1900-1999 with links to each event, and this link takes you directly to Northridge earthquake data from 1994 ... another memorable one that caused significant damage to the greater LA area. The last BIG earthquake here occurred in 1971 ... centered in the Sylmar area of Los Angeles.

I'm off to my 5th PSE6 class this morning so I won't be visiting blogs until later this afternoon when I return. I started a conversation about 'financial' matters at Sacred Ruminations yesterday and continued it today ... so you'll find more thoughts & information there than here. I'm skipping T-13 because I have no time to create something worth sharing, but hopefully I'll have time to put something together for next week.


Today I'm choosing ...
how about you?

The Bottom Line


A cowboy rides his horse up to a saloon.

All the patrons gawked as the cowboy kissed his horse on the butt before coming in and asking for a drink.

The bartender serves him and asks, "Mind if I ask why'd ya kiss your horse on the butt?"

The cowboy says, "It's 'cause I got chapped lips."

The bartender asks, "Does manure help them heal?"

Cowboy replies, "No, but it keeps me from licking them."

Photobucket

Totally Bats


Two bats are going for their midnight feed.

After an hour or so, one bat gets tired of looking and goes home with no blood.

The other bat comes home with blood dripping from its mouth. The first bat says enviously, "Where did you get all that blood from?"

The second bat replies, "Follow me. I`ll show you."

After awhile the second bat leads them to a cave. He says, "You see that wall over there?"

The hungry bat excitedly says, "Yes!"

Other bat says, "I didn't."

Photobucket

Small Reflections ... Smile Back

Thought for Today
"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." William James

16 comments:

Joyce said...

The 'common sense/sense of humor' quote is great. I've heard also that a sense of humor is an indication of intelligence. :)

Jo, a retired teacher said...

Thanks for a smile this morning. They are nice anytime and appreciated always.

Karen said...

Thank you storyteller--I really needed those two jokes (and the pic of the joyful elephant)--especially after pondering the country's financial situation on your other blog.

I appreciate the balance!

Hootin Anni said...

Cute Elephant shower!! And the chapped lips...oh lordy.

Yep, yep, yep...each area of our country has its 'bad episodes'...and we all manage to tolerate them. Bud and I just watched a History Channel Special on the earthquake of San Francisco, what a horrendous story.

Enjoy your class.
Happy Thursday

Sandee said...

I live in the central valley so I'm so with you on the earthquake thing. Scary stuff.

Loved the jokes. Have a great day. :)

Michelle said...

Loved the jokes. Thanks for the chuckle. Gosh, those earth quakes scare me. My brother in-law lives and works near New Port and he is always asking us to move to Cali. I'm not sure I could take it. Though the warm weather would be heaven. It's suppose to snow 3 plus inches this weekend here in Michigan. Yuck!!

Akelamalu said...

I suppose you get used to things like earthquakes, monsoons etc if you live where they happen frequently but it still must be scary! :(

Love the bat joke!

Anonymous said...

I'd heard about the Earthquake thing in California, but didn't pay attention to it.

We lived one summer in the LA environs -- that was enough CA for me. No earthquakes though.

Thanks for emailing me about my comments. What a pain! It's fixed now.

Momisodes said...

I just love that Joy shot! So cute.

I wish we could borrow some of your heat this week. I'll certainly trade some of our 40F degree temps and rain for some of your heat :)

Linda said...

Thanks for the smiles. I really needed that!

Unknown said...

Earthquakes intrigue me, how do they do a simulated earthquake? Days in the 90s? We've been warm today, high in the 40s. :) We had lows in the teens a few days ago and snow off and on for a while but nothing sticking yet.

Forgetfulone said...

Love that cowboy joke and the puppy picture!

kitten said...

Thank you for the funnies!
When I was in California 18 years ago:I came home from a bike ride and the people I was staying with asked me if I felt the earthquake. I didn't. You would think me only feeling one earthquake in my life here in MS I would have felt it. I guess it was like riding on a gravel road and I didn't think anything about it. What cha think?

Anonymous said...

Groan on both jokes - but I still giggled.

Anonymous said...

Me again -- turns out that the company I work for had something to do with the Shake Out exercises.

http://www.icfi.com/Newsroom/news.asp?ID=226

ChrisB said...

I had a little chuckle :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails