Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Monday, November 3, 2008

Morning Musings & Fun Monday #25

NaBloPoMo - Day 3... have YOU?
Check the top of my sidebar for
voting info & resources.

Make Time for Small Reflections
Scroll down for Fun Monday
We finally got some rain (including thunder & lightning in some places and mudslides in others) on Saturday and Sunday. Apparently thousand of folks voting early in Los Angeles County spent up to 4 hours waiting in line each day because they figured it could be worse on Tuesday when they had to get to work.

Interestingly, the news reports this morning show that the folks who have arrived early at the polls this morning (thinking they'd find long lines again) were surprised to see how few others showed up around 4am with them today, however more people are arriving steadily as it gets closer to opening time at the polls.
8:50am addendum - Thought I'd update this post ... just because. The line to vote early in Norwalk, CA (in LA County) is now stretching around the block ... so it looks like another big day of early voting there. In Orange County where I live, early voting ended last Thursday.
The news says the next storm could arrive Monday afternoon and rain through Tuesday. How strange to have had dry weather for several months and experience wet weather like this around the election. I'm relieved to have voted already, and I hope inclement weather doesn't discourage anyone from going to the polls.


Mike Golch of Rambling Stuff and Sandee of Comedy Plus shared this Full of Grace blog award recently and I'd like to pass it along here to all my regular readers today.


Bee Dancer is today's Fun Monday hostess, and she writes:

"I'm relatively new to blogging, & I'm sure this has come up before, but I'd really like to know WHY you blog. Tell me how you got started or why you got started and why you keep it up. Plus there's a photo requirement: Post a picture of the one person/place/thing that most symbolizes the town or area where you live."

Photo source: Flickzzz
Most of you know that I live in Southern California a block and a half from the Pacific Ocean, so this is what my late afternoon view looks like when I take a short walk. If you've not seen them before (or wish to look again), you can click for additional views of Molly playing at Dog Beach in a previous Fun Monday about our favorite walk.

The short answer to Why I Blog is that it's fun. I've written in journals for DECADES but seldom share much of anything I write with anyone because I write for an audience of one ... me. Over the years, I've been told I could publish my work, but I didn't (and still don't) have much confidence about that.

I started blogging a few months after attending a week-long Writers Retreat in Taos, New Mexico during the summer of 2007 ... with support & encouragment from friends I met there. At that time I'd never even SEEN a blog and had no clue what I was getting into ... but it seems I took to it like a duck takes to water & that's one of the reasons I use Lisa's photo in my 'Welcome Note' at the top under the 'header' created from a photo I took at Hennsington Garens near the Mabel Dodge Luhan House & Retreat Center ... when I spent considerable time writing.

Some time ago (in July of 2008), I responded to the question of Why I Blog in greater detail when Rebecca of Reba's Ramblings celebrated her Blogoversary by asking visitors to address the eternal question. Back then I wrote (in part):

It's clear to me that blogging ...

1. provides a way for me to experiment with sharing what I write ... without having to sit face to face with someone as I do this thing, and I've discovered that I'm much more of an introvert than most people (including myself) generally realize
2. allows me to become accustomed feedback from a variety of readers and get over my tendency to keep what I write to myself
3. introduces me to others who write (and take photographs)
4. keeps my mind active and learning new things all the time
5. stretches my imagination and my boundaries
6. fills free time with interaction when I'm alone
7. opens my eyes to what is ... and what might be ... if only
8. expands my world and opens me up to new possibilities & experiences
9. allows me to make & interact with 'virtual' friends

Of course, sometimes 'life' intervenes and takes precedence over blogging, but once things calm down this Blogosphere remains ... inviting us each to share & engage as much or as little as we choose. I'm still thinking about changing my 'storyteller' moniker and possibly my avatar ... but thus far I've not yet come up with anything I like better. When (or if) I do ... perhaps a clearer direction will emerge as well, but for now I'm content to continue in the same vein and see what emerges.

I enjoyed celebrating by 1st Blogoversary recently at Small Reflections and Sacred Ruminations and am participating in NaBloPoMo for the 2nd year ... but actually I've not missed a day of posting here since I started. I've published 394 posts on this blog and another 264 posts at Sacred Ruminations for a total of 658 posts in just 378 days. Those totals surprise ME and, of course, they don't include the additional 9 posts on my 3rd blog, BlogRolls&Bling ;--)
If you haven't yet done so ...
be sure to get ready to Vote on Tuesday!

Small Reflections ... Smile Back

Thought for Today

"Mankind will never see an end of trouble until... lovers of wisdom come to hold political power, or the holders of power... become lovers of wisdom." Plato, The Republic

16 comments:

Kayce aka lucy said...

there is always so much here that i get stumped as to where to even begin to comment!! just know i stop by and do read :-) and i voted!!!

Sandee said...

I'm very glad you accepted the award. Have a great day. Big hug. :)

Joyce said...

Yay, Plato! Right on! Another awesome quote. Thanks, Storyteller!

I am so thankful for the rains you are receiving. Here, in the Pacific Northwest, we laugh at the thought of someone not doing something 'because it's raining.' It's raining here so often, and life goes on.

Hope you have a great day, you busy blogger. :)

storyteller said...

Lucy – Thanks for dropping by. I know exactly how you feel because that happens to me when I fall behind on your blogs. I read regularly in my reader but only stop to comment when I have time to respond thoughtfully … and then I’m often ‘stumped’ as well. I’m glad you’ve voted and hope everyone else does too.

Sandee – I appreciate being included and love to pass awards along to others … just because. Thanks for the good wishes and the big hug!

Joyce – I love how you enjoy and respond to the quotes I share. We’re grateful for the rain too … and yez, we’re wimps when the wet stuph arrives precisely because it doesn’t happen often ;--)

To each of you – I appreciate your comments and hope you’re all having a delightful day.

Hugs and blessings,

Akelamalu said...

I'd give a fortune to have an afternoon view like yours! :0

Jan n Jer said...

How nice to live so close to the Pacific Ocean, that is a great photo.

Unknown said...

Being the procrastinator that I am, I put off early voting. My only hope is that so many people 'early-voted' that when I get there tomorrow there won't be a line...A girl can dream...

I loved the pictures at dog beach...have many similar shots of my "kids" mostly from Jupiter, FL dog beach...It was always their favorite walk

Tiggerlane said...

I like that you also blog to 'keep your mind active and learn new things.' That's a great reason to blog, and you're right, it DOES make the mind work! I tend to fret and panic and worry about NaBloPoMo!

storyteller said...

Akelamalu – Actually … I paid a fortune for this view … and then paid again when I bought out my ‘ex’ … but it was (and is) worth every penny ;--)

Janis – It’s a joy to fall asleep and awaken to the sound of the ocean in addition to the lovely view and stable climate. I do feel blessed.

BeeDancer – I’m a procrastinator too … and, in fact, waited 40 minutes to vote on the last day available to me, but I’m relieved I won’t have to rush around tomorrow and perhaps wait even longer to vote. I’m glad you enjoyed the photos of Molly at Dog Beach.

Tiggerlane – Now that I’m ‘happily retired’ … I believe it’s important to keep my mind active and blogging certainly helps. So do the classes I’m taking at a local Adult School about Photoshop Elements. As for NaBloPoMo … I figure if I did it last year when I didn’t have a clue about any of this, it should be a piece of cake this year. Actually … I’ve pretty much given up ‘worry and guilt’ period because neither helps me accomplish anything and both are huge energy drains. I suspect panic is equally wasteful … so you might as well relax and breathe instead.

To all – Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts. I hope you’re having a lovely day.
Hugs and blessings,

Pamela said...

that takes a lot of energy, No BloPo for me (:

Hey I could use a week at the beach. Wanna trade places for a week?

Mother of Invention said...

You were wise to vote early. I hope you all get as many people out to vote as possible. We shall be watching our TV's tomorrow night from Canada for sure!

ChrisB said...

Oh how I would love to live near that beach, I would definitely be walking there every day.
You have good reasons for blogging but it amazes me how you manage to fit so much into all your posts.

Martha said...

Just stopping by to support my Nablopomo pal - I've added links to my sidebar of my friends who are playing - it's going to be my top priority for visiting and commenting this month.
I can't wait until this election is done and over with!
Have a good evening :-)

Anonymous said...

Can I come visit you? that view is amazing. Congratulations on blogging everyday, that is a great achievement

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful view! I think I would love walking there!

storyteller said...

Pamela – Today (on the 12th of November) I can truthfully say NaBloPoMo has not been too difficult this year … and my busy schedule has encouraged me to plan ahead more than ever before. The hard part is visiting everyone in a timely fashion and responding to comments like this.

Mother of Invention – I’m glad I voted early and it was amazing how early the stations called the election for Obama … a minute after 8pm when the polls closed on the West Coast but before any had been counted. I stayed up for the whole thing … heard McCain’s classy concessions speech and Obama’s solemn & measured acceptance speech. What a night!

Chris B – Living near the beach is wonderful and I’m very grateful for the location. As for all I squeeze into my posts … it helps to be living alone (except for Molly & Ms. Kitty) and unwilling to post more than once daily on each blog … (for the most part anyway).

Martha – Thanks for the ‘drop by’ … I tend to rely on my ‘reader’ to keep me current … even though I’m consistently behind of late.

Grace – I’ve got lots of friends & family who ask the same thing often … but for the most part I’m a solitary sort these days.

Lisa – I’m sure you would too. That said … I have to drive quite a while to see other types of natural settings.

I apologize for allowing so much time to pass before I finished responding to comments on this fun Monday post. I do enjoy adding my two cents and expressing my gratitude like this … but it seems more often than not I run out of time too soon these days, so I only do it occasionally instead of consistently. Thanks again for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails