Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Monday, June 16, 2008

Fun Monday #10 ... Manic Monday #2 & More Musings of My Marvelous Mind

Addendum on Tuesday (6-18-08 at 3:10pm)
On the 1st day of the Intermediate Photoshop class (today), we learned to use a variety of Color Enhancing 'tools' ... so this afternoon I revisited a few of the photos I shared yesterday and added them to this post. I figure few folks will SEE these changes, but for those who happen by in the future, I'm interested in your opinion about which photos YOU like best. I still have lots to learn about this and look forward to future experimentation to refine my understanding of how these tools work and my skills employing them. As I look at the walls of my home, the 'enhanced' photos seem 'truer' to the actual colors than the original (darker) images.


Jan is hosting Fun Monday today and writes:
I will host Fun Monday on June 16th. The subject is walls. We all have walls of some sort. What I want to hear about and see, if you're going to show off your amazing photo skills, is what is on your walls, what color are your walls, what is special about them, what is your favorite or least favorite, is it inside or outside. You get the idea, let's show and tell about walls. Leave a comment to let me know you're playing on the 16th.
Well ... this took MUCH longer than I anticipated. The biggest problem I encountered was dealing with darkness in my family room (where the walls are natural or stained wood & there are minimal windows) ... 'glare' in my living (where my walls are white and I've got lots of windows) ... and the light from skylights in my upstairs bedroom. In addition, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing because I tried to use Photoshop to 'fix' them (with varying success) ... but here goes what I have to share.

This is the fireplace in my living room ... one of the first things I fell in love with when I found this house almost 30 years ago. Originally the 'mantle' was stained 'walnut' ... but about 12 years ago I painted it white to brighten the look.

Here are a couple shots ...
of a few things on that mantle ...
(brightened with Photoshop and added Tuesday)
(brightened with PSE 6 on Tuesday)
(as originally shared Monday)
a plaque on the wall nearby,
this Welcome Sculpture by the front door
(a gift from my mom)
some framed 'sheet music' of my mom's,
(brightened with PSE 6 and added Tuesday)
(original photo shared Monday)
a clock on my family room wall ...
(brightened with PSE 6 on Tuesday after class)
(as originally shared Monday)
a closeup of the latticed Redwood surface ...
(another thing I fell in love with in this house)
(brightened with PSE Tuesday after class)
(as originally shared Monday)
a giraffe painted by a frienda ship's bell above the closet door ...
(brightened with Photoshop on Tuesday)
(as originally shared Monday)
the stairwell ...
this dream catcher next to my bed
a few stuffed giraffes &
a paper mache elephant I made in college
atop one of several tall bookcasesand a picture of me at 3 weeks of age ...
(seriously ... the photographer propped me up like this)

So ... although I have other things on my walls, I'm going to stop here because it's 2:15 Monday afternoon ... two hours later than promised. I look forward to seeing what others have shared ... and hope you enjoy this glimpse of my walls.
According to Jan, next weeks Fun Monday Host will be
the fabulous and fun HulaGirlAtHeart.
~ ~ ~
This is my 2nd ...
If your personality had to be summed up as a sandwich, what kind of sandwich would you be?
Methinks I'd be a 'BLAT' ... (that's bacon, lettuce, avocado & tomato on whole grain toast to those of you who don't live in Southern California) ... with an occasional slice of onion for added zest!

If you knew that someone was dying, but they didn't know, would you tell them the truth or deceive them about it?
This one is tricky and I suppose it would depend on several factors ... like who the person was & how well I knew them ... where they were in their own life journey ... and my own motivation for telling them this information. I honestly don't know, but I'd like to think that whatever action I took would be motivated by love and arrived that through prayerful consideration.

Do you dress the same when you are depressed as you do when you are very happy?
I'm a casual kind of gal for the most part and go for comfort over style. With that in mind, I've been known to give up my usual 'sweats' around home for something more 'upbeat' to get myself out of a funk now and again ... and wearing bright colors CAN lift my spirits when I'm down ... so I'd say that sometimes I use clothes to modify my moods when appropriate.

How about that Tiger Woods on the 18th hole yesterday ... forcing a playoff today? I've got the TV on and am trying to watch he and Rocco ... but it's most distracting so I've got the DVR set to record it as well. That way I can catch up on anything I miss and continue to 'multi-task' with my post here. I did manage finally to figure out the 'spacing' on my BYBS/SSS post at Sacred Ruminations earlier this morning. That's really what threw off my 'timing' today. Check it out if time permits because it's pretty nifty (if I do say so myself). I hope you're all having a marvelous Monday!

Thought for Today
"Gratitude is a quality similar to electricity; it must be produced and discharged and used up in order to exist at all." William Faulkner

28 comments:

Akelamalu said...

I love this answer that you gave honey.

I'd like to think that whatever action I took would be motivated by love and arrived that through prayerful consideration.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Blimey, that was a tough question there, but you answered it well. It depressed me just thinking about it. And the dressing one is interesting too. I think when I'm low I care less so I probably look a lot more creased about the edges. :D

Molly said...

You like giraffes. I especially like the giraffes on your mantel/ The brick and redwood is very nice too. You must have a fabulous home.

Molly said...

How about that Tiger Woods and Rocco play-off today? Whew...

Maisie said...

I've never tried avocado in my BLT's. That is unique. So, I'm thinking that you must be a unique person.

Anonymous said...

I really like the brick fireplace and I think it was a great idea to paint the mantle. The Redwood is very cool too. The baby photo of you is priceless :0)

Heather said...

I love all of your giraffes! And the brick fireplace is beautiful. Our's is just tile and anytime I see someone with a brick one I have to admit I'm just a tiny bit jealous! Your clock is really pretty, too. Your walls look like they have a lot of character!

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Love the bell and the dream catcher...and I tend to dress up when I'm feeling down.

Regards,

Mariposa

Sayre said...

Oh, my! Your walls are wonderful! The brick work and the redwood are gorgeous - but I can see how they might darken your rooms. I'm sure the white mantle helped a lot. I've been known to fall in love with bits of houses - the bathroom floor tiles (very old) drew me to my current house.

Unknown said...

i agree! bright colors really brighten you up inside. i'd enjoy a BLAT anytime!

Anonymous said...

Very impressive Monday post - you've really kicked off your week in a big way.
I did Manic Monday.
The BLAT sounds delicious.

The Gal Herself said...

BLAT!?! Never heard of that before, but it's fun to say. I'll have to order me a BLAT some day soon.

Amy said...

I enjoyed the tour of your walls- I'll have to check out that meme, too. Love all the giraffes, I've always thought they were cute.

Thanks for stopping by my MM post, also. I like your BLAT (by the way here in Ohio I've never had one of those) with the optional zesty onion, LOL! :)

Betty said...

I enjoyed seeing what's on your walls. I really like the fireplace and the red wood in your home. Nice picture of you when you were 3 weeks old, but how about a more updated photo of you? Would be nice to have a face to go with the name.

ShannonW said...

I have never had a BLAT sandwich! I really need to try it.

Joyce said...

What a cutie pie you were at 3 weeks old! And, all that hair! :)

karisma said...

I love your giraffe and your fireplace is nice too!

ChrisB said...

You have so many beautiful things on your walls. I particularly like the ship's bell. Your fireplace is very unusual I think it's lovely~ I enjoyed my peep into your home~thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Whoo, thanks for dropping by. I like that name, "BLAT". Haha.
Nice considerate reply to #2.

Hooray for a great Manic Monday. Enjoy your week!

Unknown said...

It appears you might like giraffes. :) Love the painting your friends did. :) Love your fireplace and can see why you feel in love with the redwood lattice walls.

Susan said...

I love your wall pictures, it really got me thinking about my walls and what they say about me. Very interesting. I think your sandwich sounds great, I've heard about the wonderful avacados in So. Cal.

Anonymous said...

great walls, I enjoyed looking at them

Anonymous said...

I love the photos of the patterns & objects in your home. It reminds me of my childhood. I swear my mom had a matching yellow welcome sign like the one in that photo. Who knows, maybe we're distant relatives altho you don't look Korean. Thanks for the rememoeration of my sizzling sellc.

danny

DIARYOFAD.BLOGSPOT.COM: THE diary OF A MONSTER

storyteller said...

Akelamalu – Thanks! I took the question seriously and tried to be as honest as possible.

Jo – I’m sorry you happened by before I got my Fun Monday part of my post up, but it’s there now if ya have time to drop by again. In fact, it’s been ‘amended’ as a result of my Tuesday Photoshop class because I enhanced the photos with tools we learned to use this week.

Molly – I do like giraffes … and I have a TON of them all over my house. This is just a small sampling. As for the playoff between Rocco and Tiger … that was amazing wasn’t it? I worried every time I saw Tiger wince however, and this morning (Wednesday) I heard he’s scheduled for surgery again and will be taking the rest of the year off. I hope this ‘win’ was worth it … and I’m sure glad it wasn’t all in vane.

Maisie – I’d like to THINK I’m unique (aren’t we all?) and I love avocados on most anything actually … in salads, sandwiches, on crackers, and even in omelets.

EllenB – Thanks … I still love both those features in my home. I’m glad I decided to paint the mantle white, but I’ve resisted ‘lightening’ the redwood wall with a wash because I love all the colors and grains that now show up better in my ‘enhanced’ photos. Gotta love that Photoshop Elements program ;--)

Heather – I enjoy them too … though I no longer ‘collect’ them because I have way too many and am making a concerted effort to ‘simplify’ and ‘declutter’ my surroundings. One of these day’s I’ll try to capture my gorgeous Grandfather Clock in a photo to share.

Mariposa – I sometimes ring the bell as I walk by … (just because) … and I love this dream catcher hanging on the wall as I sleep! I hope you feel better soon.

Sayre – I’m happy I was able to share a bit of what I enjoy daily in my home … and it was fun to see what others shared as well. Isn’t it nifty what draws our attention?

Surfergirl – I agree … though I also enjoy wearing black and white, and do so more frequently these days.

Frances – I don’t recall whether or not I visited your Manic Monday, but will check when I finish responding here. Thanks for dropping by and leaving the link back to your blog. I’m glad you enjoyed my Fun Monday post too. BLATs are delicious indeed … in fact I may make one for lunch today.

The Gal Herself – You may not find it on the menu of many restaurants, but most will add ‘avocado’ to a BLT if you ask. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Amy – Fun Monday is FUN indeed! I’ve participated 10 times so far … just missed a couple since I started a few months back and I always enjoy seeing how others respond to the ‘challenges’ presented each week. I hope you’ll give it a go. There’s at link at the end of my Monday post that tells who’s hosting next week and what the topic will be.

Betty – I’m glad you enjoyed what I shared. Don’t hold your breath waiting for a current photo of me any time soon however. You know I’m ‘a nonny mouse’ and value my privacy.

Shannon – I hope you will give it (a BLAT) a try and let me know what you think.

Joyce – Yup … I was born with a full head of DARK hair and no one could believe it! It turned lighter within a year or so … and I had what was known as ‘dirty dishwater blond’ hair until my twenties when it started to gray in front. Now I’ve got what’s known as ‘salt & pepper’ hair … with more salt than pepper in the front, but the back is still darker ;--)

Karisma – I’m happy your found them so.

ChrisB – It was fun to share this week in this manner … and delightful to see what others did as well. I found myself looking at my home through new eyes, something we might each benefit from doing occasionally.

Ash – You’re quite welcome … ‘twas MY pleasure indeed! Thanks … I did give the question considerable thought before sharing.

Lisa Marie – I referenced my giraffe collection in previous posts … perhaps in another Fun Monday, though I don’t recall at the moment. I am fascinated with the ‘real giraffe critter’ and folks have given me replicas most of my life … perhaps with the underlying message to ‘stick my neck out’ …(or not).

Susan – I had much the same experience as I read this week’s Fun Monday challenge. It made me look at my walls differently. California avocados ARE delicious!

Grace – Thanks … I’m glad you dropped by and enjoyed your visit.

Danny – Hmmm … MY sister had a ‘yellow’ version of my ‘welcome’ sign in her house … and she adopted two Korean babies (who are all grown up now and whom I love very much). Your link doesn’t work, but I suspect you recognize all of these ‘walls’ in my home from your past. Thanks for dropping by. Hope all’s well with you … and CALL ME ya hear?

To everyone!
So … after posting my WW this morning and visiting a few others, I decided to take a few minutes to check comments … and wound up taking the time to respond to each and every one of you here the way I used to before life got crazy. I do so love reading comments … so thanks to everyone for making my day! Hope you’re having a wonderful Wednesday.
Hugs and blessings,

Jan said...

Here I was the host for FM, and I can't believe I missed visiting you. You really worked hard on your post, and it shows. Love the giraffes, they're a fav of mine, too.

storyteller said...

Jan – Not to worry! The Fun Monday part of this post got published MUCH later in the day than intended because I ran into major issues with the photos I used initially. Believe it or not, I worked on those DARK photos Monday … with very limited knowledge. As I sat in Tuesday’s class, I could hardly wait to get home to REALLY fix them using the new tools introduced that morning. And … as you know from today’s comment on YOUR Fun Monday post … I can’t believe I missed IT until today. All’s well that ends well and better late than never, right? Right! Thanks for the visit this afternoon and for a nifty challenge this week.
Hugs and blessings,

Tina Coruth said...

Storyteller,

Your photos are beautiful. I like the lightened photos better. Very often when I take photos inside, they come out a lot darker than the room is.

I couldn't help but notice your Ruth Fielding book. My mother gave me Ruth Fielding and the Gypsies when I was 12 years old. I still have it. I enjoyed reading it, but I have to admit I was a big Nancy Drew fan.

BLAT sandwhiches? I never thought to put avocado on a blt. I love avocado. Do you just put some slices in with the other ingredients? I will try this!

I think you gave an excellent answer to the question about whether or not to tell some they are dying. That is a very tough question.

Love you ship's bell!

hugs,
Tina

storyteller said...

Tina – Thanks for the feedback re: my photos. All of those books were from my mom’s library (limited though it was) and I loved them all as a child. I read Nancy Drew too even though in my dad most libraries didn’t have her books on their shelves. Fortunately, someone had donated the entire collection to my Jr. High School and I devoured them all voraciously. As for BLATs … sometimes I slice the avocado … other times I ‘smush’ it, but either way is delicious! Thanks … it WAS a tough question indeed.

Hope you had a wonderful weekend. I’m hoping to get by your blog later today, but first I need to create my Fun Monday post … something I intended to do previously but didn’t get around to.
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails