Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Sunday, June 8, 2008

CC#8 ... UM#9 ... and Sunday Stuph ;--)


I started a week late so today is my 8thMisty Dawn started the meme and explains the rules here:

Do all Labs chew on their dish ...
or is Molly trying to tell me something?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm participating for the 9th time today.
How about you?


What comes to YOUR mind?

If you'd like to play here, copy and paste the clues in comments along with your responses ... or post on your blog and let me know so I can visit ;--)

Here are MY responses:
  1. Rambling :: Rose ... (can you hear me humming?)
  2. Magnetic :: personality
  3. Again! :: Here we go again ... (humming again). Thank you Dolly Parton ;--)
  4. Acoustic :: guitar (Have I told you I play a little?)
  5. Mahogany :: upright piano I refinished
  6. Promises :: broken & kept
  7. Ill fitting :: uncomfortable and/or inappropriate
  8. Sublime :: inspirational or transcendent
  9. Poop :: Deck (Have I told you about the MANY years I took my 5th graders on an overnight 'field trip' to the Brig Pilgrim in Dana Point?)
  10. Disoriented :: confused
Your turn: I say ... and you think ... ?
  1. Rambling ::
  2. Magnetic ::
  3. Again! ::
  4. Acoustic ::
  5. Mahogany ::
  6. Promises ::
  7. Ill fitting ::
  8. Sublime ::
  9. Poop ::
  10. Disoriented ::

Click to see what I learned about making collages in yesterday's Scrapbooking with Photoshop 6 class!


More Sunday Musings ... about TENNIS!

Both of the men's semi final tennis matches at the French Open were competitive & exciting to watch. The first set in the Nadal-Djokovic match went to a 'tie-break' and could have gone either way. Strangely, Nadal got a 'time violation warning' at a crucial time near the end of that tie-break that seemed to have more of an effect on Djokovic than Rafa ... and when Nadal won that 1st set, Novak seemed to 'go away' mentally in the 2nd set. However he returned in the 3rd and showed his brilliance with what would have been 'winners' against almost anyone else ... but Nadal managed to run everything down to take the match in straight sets.

It's been 25 years since Frenchman Yannick Noah won the French Championship ... so when Gael Monfils made the semi-finals, the crowd went wild, and he was (quite naturally) their 'favorite' in his match with Roger Federer. Conditions were windy and Monfils double-faulted to open the game then lost the next 3 points ... so Roger won that game at 'Love' and held his serve. Monfils held his second serve then called for the doctor & a trainer at the change over ... something players seem to do these days in a calculated manner to slow things down and stop the momentum of their opponents. Federer did hit two the 1st two balls of the next into the net, but managed to hold his serve. He 'broke' Monfils again and took the 1st set at 6-2.

Play in the 2nd set was more competitive ... and Monfils actually had 4 'set point' opportunities, but Roger fought off the all 'break points' to hold for 5-5. Monfils (serving first) held for a 6-5 lead and it looked like things were headed for a tie-break as Federer fought off another 'set point' ... but Monfils managed to convert on the next 'break opportunity' to take the set 7-5. The crowd went WILD celebrating the leveling of the match at a set apiece.

In the 3rd set Monfils held his serve with difficulty and so did Roger in a quick strong game, but Federer broke Gael on his next two service games and took the set easily at 6-3. The 4th set was more exiciting & competitive ... got to 5-5 with Roger serving 1st this time. He held for 6-5 and Monfils served to 'stay alive' for a tiebreak. Although Monfils won the first 2 points, Roger fought back ... eventually getting to 'match point' for the 3rd time ... and secured the win at 7-5.

TODAY'S men's Championship is between Nadal and Federer for the 3rd year in a row.

The Women's Championship Match between Ana Ivanovic & Dinara Safina yesterday was exciting. It's been a while since we've seen a competitive women's final in any of the major tournaments. If Safina hadn't had such difficult wins in her previous two matches, things might have gone differently in this match ... but although she gave Ivanovic some trouble along the way, Ana Ivanovic took the Championship in straight sets ... 6-4, 6-3.

~ ~ ~

Thought for Today
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland

28 comments:

i beati said...

Molly is such as beauty

Deb @ Sugarfused said...

Thanks to you, I now have that Dolly Parton song stuck in my head!!

Molly's such a pretty dog :)

Hope you have a terrific Sunday.

Sandy M said...

Great mutterings as always! Have a great Sunday!

Hootin Anni said...

I love your answer for mahogany. I'd love to see a photo of it here someday.

Beautiful furbaby.

Anita said...

Molly is gorgeous!

Mine's up at Prairie Dreams

Anonymous said...

I don't know if bowl chewing is just a lab thing... I've got a little Boston Terrier that loves to chew on them. Especially her water bowl - even if it's full!

Great photo - so adorable :)

Joy Des Jardins said...

Molly's dish reminds me of seeing the chewed caps of people's pens. She's so cute. Happy Sunday sweetie....

Unknown said...

Great mutterings.

You can find my mutterings ::here::

Have a great week!

Wendy said...

Labs are garbage disposals disguised as pets! Gotta love them though. I've had several, and they are definitely one of my favorite breeds.
Hope you have a chance to stop by and check out my critter pic for today!

Joyce said...

Molly looks so beautiful. :)
She seems to be rambunctious as well, which is a perfect combo!

Susan Demeter said...

Looks like Molly is singing the supper time song :)

ShannonW said...

My brother had a black lab (Jake) that liked to chew on his bowl.

Betty said...

Nice picture of Molly. She looks like she has green eyes.

Enjoyed your meme. Have a good week.

Jules said...

Molly has a way with words, doesn't she?
Have a wonderful week and thanks for visiting!

Anonymous said...

Molly sure is a pretty little girl. She looks like a real sweetheart. Years ago I had a black lab that was a bowl chewer too.

Karen said...

Molly is gorgeous!

I love the Lewis Carroll quote--it's an answer to resistance--just begin and keep going until you're finished--so simple, so hard.

storyteller said...

I’m doing my best to catch up this morning before I head off to Retired Gals Lunch … so I’ve leaving one group response rather than individual ones because I’d like to visit your blogs before I head out into the REAL world.

Molly appreciates all the compliments on her appearance. FYI this photo was taken immediately after she finished her morning meal (she eats twice a day) … so she couldn’t be hungry. Interestingly she doesn’t swallow the plastic pieces from her dish. I find them with my bare feet (ouch) all over the floor. As for her ‘green eye’ … that was the result of the flash on the camera. I thought about ‘fixing it’ as I created yesterday’s post (a simple thing to do with Photoshop), but since TIME is at a premium these days … I decided to let it be.

Molly does love to chew on stuph and I provide her with many toys of her own. Fortunately she leaves MY things alone and sticks with hers. I’ve heard many a ‘horror story’ from other lab owners who have returned home to find couches, coffee tables, and other furniture destroyed by their labs … so count me grateful!

As for the quote, I tend to select 'thoughts' to leave at the end of my posts based on MY needs for the day. It's always interesting to see who happens by and finds they 'resonate' as you so often do Karen … and yes … ‘so simple, so hard’ ;--)

I do hope you all enjoyed your weekend and that you have a peace-filled day, every day. I hope to be dropping by your blogs in a few minutes … just as soon as I eat some breakfast.
Hugs and blessings,

maryt/theteach said...

What a beautiful lab! I don't know why he chews his dish. Do his teeth hurt? Is he hungry? I hear Nadal beat Federer...

Lilli & Nevada said...

I don't know but my Princess goes and gets her bowl when she wants to eat, or when she finds that she don't want to eat alone. Brings it in the living room
Cute shot

Anonymous said...

Molly is just gorgeous!

Misty DawnS said...

I don't know about Labs, but I can tell you that I have a Border Collie puppy who will chew/eat EVERYTHING and ANYTHING!

This is an adorable photo! She's BEAUTIFUL!

NicciN said...

Your dog is cute. Reminds me of my childhood dog Callie. She was a golden lab.

That is great that you play guitar. I took piano lessons as a kid, but haven't really kept it up.

Tina Coruth said...

Storyteller,

I did this before seeing your answers:
Rambling :: Rose
Magnetic :: North
Again! :: Here we go...
Acoustic :: Guitar
Mahogany :: table
Promises :: To Keep
Ill fitting :: Clothes
Sublime :: Ridiculous
Poop :: Deck
Disoriented :: Express LOL

I think Molly is hungry, cute, but hungry! :-)

Hugs,
Tina

storyteller said...

Thanks to each of you for dropping by and taking time to comment. I’m sorry it took me until Wednesday to respond here and hope you understand. I do think I’ve visited all of you and left comments on your blogs, but if I missed someone I apologize and will try to visit as time permits.

Molly always enjoys compliments on her appearance. I’m pretty sure the cause not ‘hunger’ because Molly chews on LOTS of things often … (fortunately she limits herself to her toys rather than my stuph) … but this ‘dish chewing’ occurs most frequently AFTER meals rather than before.

Yup … Federer lost again in three very quick sets. I took piano lessons as a kid too, but didn’t keep it up … though I do sometimes sit down at mom’s piano a ‘piddle around’ (as she’d call it). I wish for each of you a peace-filled day, every day!
Hugs and blessings,

Unknown said...

Great mutterings. Nice to meet you.

storyteller said...

Storm – Thanks … and I appreciate you dropping by. I hope you have a fantastic Friday ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Molly said...

Your dog's name is Molly? I think that more people name their dogs Molly than Rover or Fido.

storyteller said...

Molly – I apologize for being so late in responding to your comment, but I just discovered it while doing a ‘quick check’ of my blog. I didn’t know at the time, but methinks you may be right.

I’ve always given my pets ‘human’ names (with the exception of Zonker, but that’s another story) … 1st Ralph, Charly, Clyde, and Jesse. At the time I adopted Molly, I’d NEVER met a dog with that name (though I’ve since learned that Maggie and Molly are the most common female dog’s name around). Who knew? In all my years, I’ve met only one person named Molly in my life … and she was a favorite student of mine who wrote beautifully. I actually asked her mom whether she thought her daughter would mind before renaming Molly (who’s ‘trial name’ was Sara … but one day I looked at her and said something like … ‘You might grow up one day to be a Sara, but right now … you’re a Molly’ … and that’s been her name ever since).

Thanks for your visit … and your patience.
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails