Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Sunday, January 13, 2008

De-lurking and Kindness ... again!

Methinks MPJ is right after all! Not as many people "blog" on weekends as during the week. I hadn't noticed until she "Ku-d" about it yesterday at A Room of Mama's Own. So ... I might be wise to wait and post this on Monday rather than today, but perhaps I'll do it today and Monday? Time will tell.

My post from yesterday, "De-lurking and Kindness" has but two comments since I posted yesterday at 11:14 am ... and the similar (yet different) post at Sacred Ruminations on these two topics (posted yesterday at 6:51pm and amended earlier this morning) has only one comment. I'll not take the time to check other weekend posts now (but may do so later) because I have other things to share today.

First ... while drifting off to sleep last night, I remembered adding another "kindness" reminder to my sidebar at Sacred Ruminations a couple of months ago when I first started my blogs. It's way down near the bottom and looks like this, and when you click on the purple button ... it takes you to a brief video clip worth watching. Maybe you have time today?

Next ... this morning I searched Google for references to Practice Random Kindness and found this in Wikipedia. Apparently there is a Random Acts of Kindness Foundation (founded in 1995) that exists today, and others have taken up this idea promoting a variety of activities. I quote from Wikipedia here:
Finally ... I found a variety of people and organizations actively pursuing kindness in the world. One I explored briefly is HelpOthers.org with links to Smile Cards, Stories, Groups, and Kindness Ideas, but others are listed if you're seeking ideas for yourself.

So ... BEGIN TODAY with a little kindness for me and LEAVE A COMMENT PLEASE!!!


15 comments:

Sherck said...

Awww! The puppy at the end was the clincher! Who could say no to that little pooch?

For whatever reason, it does seem like there's less blogging going on during the weekends, which is strange since you'd think most folks would be busier during the work week than on weekends. Maybe everyone is blogging from their computers at work and they have "better" things to do on the weekend?

Kelly said...

I honestly believe that kindness is the key. Our lives are relatively short and we are so small in this vast universe. The best hope we have for making an impact is simply to be kind in small ways every day.

Eve said...

I have noticed the lack of traffic on weekends. I always assume people are at the grocery store or on the ski slopes. Blogging is part of their work-day routine, but not a part of the weekend. If I had something better to do I wouldn't be here in front of the computer either. :D

storyteller said...

Sherck – I didn’t realize you’d be a push over for puppies, but I figured (having given monsters a try yesterday) using the cuddily fur-critter today just might make a difference. I’m not sure what the reason for the slow down in blogging traffic on weekends is, but you may be on to something there.

Kikipotamus – Regarding kindness ... I concur whole-heartedly, and I’m so happy to find a 2nd comment from you here today! I enjoy the emails you send, but it’s fun to “converse” in public too.

Eve – I hadn’t noticed fewer bloggers on weekends until MPJ wrote about it, but I suspect you’re right. Actually, I have things to do … but blogging has become a bit “addictive” for me, so I’ll need to pay attention in the days, weeks, and months ahead.

Thanks to all of you for breaking the ice and setting such an excellent example for “lurkers” who follow.

Hugs and blessings,

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I tend to catch up on my blog reading on the weekends, but I really have noticed that many more people do it during the work week. I don't know what that says about business productivity. ;)

Maude Lynn said...

I always have a big drop in traffic on weekends, too.

Momisodes said...

Oh! What a cute banner at the end....who can so no to those puppy eyes?

This is a wonderful post to so many great resources...

TRaffic for me this weekend is TERRIBLE! No lovin' for me either....I wonder if it has anything to do with the wretched weather across the nation.

Nina said...

It is so true - like is so short, and being gracious and loving to the people around you is all that matters. We might not be "nice" all the time and everyone can use reminders like this one.

:-)

Peajay said...

I get to do much of my visiting late at night, it's gone midnight here in the UK, and I don't always get to see the cutesy critters as viewing is carried out on my Palm Tx. I stop by most days but don't always feel I have anything worthy of adding to your profound thoughts and words.
Sláinte

whatswithinu said...

I just wanted to take this time to thank you for your contribution and effort to spread the word of kindness. I also wish to thank you for linking to the Kindness Movement video. It's people such as yourself that truly help to raise awareness.

Please keep making a diffence!

storyteller said...

Wow! What a way to start the day! Can you see the huge smile on my face as I read your comments this morning? :-)

MPJ – Being happily retired as I am (grinning from ear to ear), every day’s a weekend to me. Although I installed SiteMeter a while back at the suggestion of a friend, I’ve not paid attention to it at all, so until you mentioned the drop off … it hadn’t even occurred to me. Funny how that goes because the minute I noticed, it was self-evident.

Mama Zen – Hmmm … am I the only unconscious blogger out there?

Sandy – I use what I can to attract attention, but since I like to be original and you’d used the flasher already, the puppy seemed perfect. LOL
As for the resources, it’s strange how I find myself drawn to sharing with others as I always did when working as a teacher. Perhaps I only THINK I’m happily retired.

Nina – You’re so right! ‘Tis a simple thing (but not always easy), to shift our attention from what’s wrong to what we might do to change things … and then take action. Just noticing when we’re not being “nice” may be enough. Simple reminders can be key.

Peajay – Ohmygosh! Who said anyone needs to be “profound” ??? A smile, wave, or “howdy do” is lovely when I sit down at the computer in the morning with my coffee! How else would I know I’m not talking to myself in an empty room? Goodness knows, I do enough of that (as is) living alone … with Molly and Ms. Kitty, of course.

Whatswithin – Thank YOU for stopping by. I loved that video when I found it 3 months ago and added it to my sidebar of my other blog … hoping others would find it too. I’d almost forgotten it myself until I wrote the posts on each blog about Claudia’s Everyday Kindness commitment. Now that I type this, I suppose I could add it to the sidebar here. Every little bit helps, and I’ll do what I can.

Big HUGS and BLESSINGS to everyone! You’ve made my morning brighter, and I promise to pass the magic on today to others.

Deborah said...

One of the easiest random acts of kindness (next to dropping change on the ground for small children and others to find) that I've run across yet. Yes, I can leave a comment and show you some kindness - there. ;-)

storyteller said...

Deborah - Thank you! I love the idea of dropping change for others to find ... and don't know that I've every purposefully done so, although I'm sure I've dropped my share of coins accidentally over the years :-)

I did develop the "penny" habit from my dad who extended the saying "Find a penny, pick it up ... all day long you'll have good luck" to include "pass it on to someone who you believe needs good luck too."
Hugs and blessings,

Karen said...

I tend to not blog on weekends, either. I guess it's because those are the only two days that I can spend quality time with my husband and as a family. (During the week Mark doesn't get home until anywhere between 7pm and 8:30pm--Nathan's in bed by 7:30, I'm in bed by 8:30.) Also--I'm pooped by the end of the week, even when I haven't done much blogging. I don't even want to look at the computer, much less turn it on and compose.

Even so, I love reading blogs, and I LOVE when others blog over the weekend--even if I don't read the entries until Monday. So thank you Storyteller--I may not read the entries right away, but when I do, I am truly grateful!

storyteller said...

Karen – Spending quality time with your husband seems more important than blogging any day of the week, and with your schedule … I’d be pooped by the weekend too. When I worked, I didn’t even check email on any regular basis … and I don’t know how people juggle both today. I’m glad you love reading weekend posts on Mondays, and I’m grateful for your gratitude.
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails