Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Friday, May 23, 2008

HF #41 & Pensieve's 40PC

What is happening
to our weather? ... Last week we
experienced a

HEAT WAVE in So Cal
now it's cold & rainy with
'tornados' ... mud slides

even snow & hail
thunder, lightning ... gusty winds
challenging traffic!

Memorial Day
weekend plans in flux for most ...
I'll stay close to home.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I shared more of what
I learned in my Photoshop
Elements class this

Wedn'sday here and here
and may share more during the
weekend but today

I shall join Pensieve's
40 Photo Challenge
... the
picture below is

what we're focused on
this week ... and my response will
appear underneath.



Pensieve writes: "An ordinary Charms Blow Pop, two treats in one. Labor your way through the hard, sugary lollipop shell and find a sweet bubble gum reward. What I've always taken for granted as a right of childhood is really a bit extra ordinary given a bit more thought--might you agree?

Either way, I'm curious...what thoughts and memories does this photo conjures for YOU?

As with every Friday's 40-or-less Photo Challenge, take a few minutes to pen a poem, offer a title, coin a caption or simply write the first thoughts that pop in your head. It doesn't have to be a literal interpretation of this picture but maybe about your favorite treats or if you ever actually counted the licks it took to get to the center.... The only rule? Keep it under 40 words.

What could be easier? Invite your readers to join in and we'll have one whiz-bang of a party!!"

~ ~ ~

Red lollipops were
fav'rites of mine long ago
especially when

filled with 'Tootsie roll'
centers ... chewy ... delightful!
Wish I had one now ;--)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Click for others participating in 40PC

Click to see my Week 12 One Single Impression
shared in
Volume 42 at
at Sacred Ruminations

~ ~ ~

For a Mr. Linky to other Haiku Fridays
go to A Mommy Story or
Playgroups are no Place for Children.

To see more previous Haikus,
click on the Haiku Friday label below this post
or in the sidebar under About Me.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thought for Today
"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get." Mark Twain

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your haiku is so right on!!! What is this craziness? Socal has some strange weather at times, but this last week has been insane.

Have a great weekend...stay dry and warm and watch out for tornados!

ChrisB said...

I think the red lollipop took many of us back a good few years!

Dillo said...

Great Haiku! Well said and apt.

Best of luck on all of the transitions. Life and So. Cal are busy places; good to find purpose and center in the midst of them!

Momisodes said...

Ah, how I loved tootsie pops too :) I really enjoyed their commercials as well.

Loved your haiku. I had no idea the weather has been so crazy there. I hope you have some steady, warm sun this weekend!

Tammy said...

I never could count the number of licks to the center - always bit into it before that!

NicciN said...

Our weather is crazy up here too. It was raining in Phoenix when I flew home too. Weird.

You make me want to go get a Tootsie Pop.

Joyce said...

Sorry to hear about your scary weather. :( Please stay comfortable and safe.

I enjoyed your "tootsie pop poem"; oh, how I loved them, too. Fun memories.

storyteller said...

Vixen – Methinks it will be a challenge to stay dry unless I stay indoors all weekend. It rained as I went to bed last night and is still raining this morning. I’m relieved I don’t live in a ‘burn’ area, but I do feel for folks who do.

ChrisB – I hadn’t thought of ‘Tootsie Pops’ for a long time … perhaps since I retired in 2001 … because I just don’t buy candy any more. This was a ‘fun’ challenge from Pensieve ;--)

Dillo – I’ve not had the chance to visit anyone else yet, but hope to get out there later today. Thanks for visiting my Haiku and sharing your thoughts. I appreciate your compliment and the well wishes. I’m doing my best to seek some balance, though it’s all challenging at the moment ;--)

Sandy – Thanks for the good weather wishes, however it’s raining right now … with predictions for continued ‘unstable weather’ throughout the weekend (including Monday). Apparently we’ll get a break Tuesday & Wednesday before it returns next weekend … and once the ‘system’ does leave the area, it’s likely to cause tornados throughout the central states as it moves east.

Tammy – Oh, me either!!! Delaying gratification was not my strong suit when it came to these tasty treats with soft chewy centers ;--)

Joyce – So far, my area is experiencing some wind and unexpected rain showers. The heavier winds (and tornados) occurred about 60 miles away. The mud slides are about 15 miles away in three local canyon areas of Orange County where the fires burned last fall … and ‘snow flurries’ in the mountains. It reminds me how diverse our topography is in Southern California.

Thanks to everyone for visiting. I’m hoping to spend time in the Blogosphere this afternoon and will stop by to see what you’ve shared as time permits. Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs and blessings,

The Laundress said...

Awesome 'ku.

I loved those blow pops as a kid.

Now my daughter loves them too but I never knew the choking hazards of those little sucker until she started eating them...Or am I just paranoid? Or was my mother's generation not paranoid enough?

storyteller said...

JJ! – Thanks … me too ;--)
Re: paranoia or not … it’s clear that lots of things we did as kids may have been dangerous, but we survived them didn’t we? Methinks it’s about balance and common sense … being ‘present’ … talking with and listening to kids … helping them learn to make appropriate decisions along the way.
Hugs and blessings,

Tina Coruth said...

Storyteller,

I never had a lollipop with gum in the middle. However, I sure did like tootsie pops. Your poem made me smile - sweet memories!

hugs,
Tina

storyteller said...

Tina – I’m glad you enjoyed my poem. I did love those Tootsie Pops!
Hugs and blessings,

Karen said...

I've actually got a bag of Tootsie Pops in my cupboard right now...hmm...looking at that picture makes me want to get up and get one...

storyteller said...

Karen – I’m a bit jealous … but I know better than to keep candy anywhere … especially candy I like because I’d EAT it!
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails