Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Remembering Dad ... and UM#34

Make Time for Small Reflections
Scroll down for Unconscious Mutterings
The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor on this day in 1941 ... a Sunday 67 years ago.

It was my dad's 38th birthday ... a little more than 4 years before I was born in February of 1945. He never wanted to celebrate his birthday from that day forth, and I didn't understand his pain until I was older.


Today would have been Dad's 105th ... the age HIS father was when Grandpa passed on ... but work-related cancer took my father at the age of 72 when I was just 30, so I haven't had him around the last 33 years to listen to his stories ... search through coins with him for his collection ... or talk 'baseball' with.

I've shared more in 'Memories of Dad' at Happily Retired Gal this morning. If your dad is still in your life ... I hope you'll take a moment to give him a big hug & tell him how much you love him ... just because.

Photobucket

Happy Birthday Daddy ... I miss you every day.
Your baby girl


This is the 306th issue of ...
I'm participating for the 34th time today.
How about you?

What comes to YOUR mind?

If you'd like to play here, copy and paste the clues in comments along with your responses ... or post on your blog and let me know so I can visit ;--)

I say ... and you think ... ?

  1. Love affair :: Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr in 'An Affair to Remember'
  2. Bubble :: John Travolta ... the 'Boy in the Bubble'
  3. Pimple :: teenagers & acne
  4. Knocks :: Opportunity
  5. Persistent :: long lasting
  6. Infected :: immunity
  7. Yay! :: we may get some more (much needed) rain today in Southern California ... finally
  8. Repaint :: something I need to do to my exterior staircase
  9. Daily :: Show with Jon Stewart
  10. Quickly! :: responding to these prompts each Sunday
Your turn: I say ... and you think ... ?
  1. Love affair ::
  2. Bubble ::
  3. Pimple ::
  4. Knocks ::
  5. Persistent ::
  6. Infected ::
  7. Yay! ::
  8. Repaint ::
  9. Daily ::
  10. Quickly! ::
Click for others muttering today.
Small Reflections ... Smile Back

Thought for Today
"Old as she was, she still missed her daddy sometimes."
Gloria Naylor

19 comments:

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

What a kind tribute to your Dad. I empathize with you. Daddy was 72 when we lost him to a brain tumor. His birthday would have been Friday 12/5 and I still miss him too. Seems like we have a lot in common.

Akelamalu said...

A lovely tribute to your father m'dear. My own Dad is 84, I thank every day he is still in my life and I tell him every day I love him.

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

Me agian - had to take a minute first but here are my thoughts...

Love affair :: Romeo & Juliette
Bubble :: Gum
Pimple :: ugh! (I'm too old for this.)
Knocks :: Opportunity
Persistent :: children
Infected :: sinuses
Yay! :: It's Friday.
Repaint :: bedroom
Daily :: blog
Quickly! :: Come, Lord Jesus.

Hootin Anni said...

#7 reminds me of a song..."Oh it never rains in-n-n-n, southern California"

It's chilly here, but sunny. Hope you get your moisture.

Happy Sunday.

Michelle said...

Oh my, you've brought tears to by eyes with the story of your dad. Happy Birthday Dad! I still have both my parents,which I'm grateful for. Though my hubby lost his mommy when he was only 29 to cancer. His mom was only 59. She passed away 4 months after she was diagnosed. That was 5 years ago this past Thanksgiving. We are all still traumatized by this event. It breaks my heart that my little girl never got to meet her grams. I got pregnant one month after her death, which was a welcome surprise. Thanks for sharing and reminding me to be thankful that I still have my parents around to share life with. Take care my friend.

Joyce said...

Dear Storyteller, I am thankful you had a loving father who you still love and miss. That is a precious gift.

Here are my mutterings (I will read yours after I do this so I don't cheat!):
1. Love affair :: euphemism for the sin of adultery, quite acceptable in our society
2. Bubble :: Don't burst my...
3. Pimple :: zit
4. Knocks :: when opportunity...
5. Persistent :: will pay off
6. Infected :: with a virus
7. Yay! :: You did it!
8. Repaint :: freshen up the house
9. Daily :: routine
10. Quickly! :: Mach schnell!

Maude Lynn said...

Beautiful tribute to your Dad!

Gretchen said...

It's a beautiful tribute to your dad. I'll be seeing mine at a church dinner in about 10 minutes, so I will give him a hug and kiss, just because.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Oh Virginia...you made me cry with that beautiful tribute to your dad. And...it made me think of my wonderful dad, whom I feel exactly the same way about. My dad was my hero...and still is. I especially miss him at this time of year when the rest of my family is with me. Your dad must have been so proud of you sweetie. Your dad has missed half of your life....my dad has missed 2/3rds of mine...I know they've been watching us Virginia, don't you? Love to you during these holidays....and always, Joy

Mike Golch said...

I miss my Dad as well. I usually say the same thing that if you have your parents treasure them. Great tribute.

kitten said...

What a great tribute to your dad! I had 3 uncles who served as well. Thanks for remebering them and others as well!
((((HUGS))))

Sandee said...

That is a beautiful tribute to your father. Mine is gone too. They don't stay around long enough.

Have a great rest of the weekend. Big hug. :)

Forgetfulone said...

I miss my dad so very much, too. He wasn't there when Pearl Harbor was bombed, but he was in the Air Force, stationed in Guam for a while, but that was before my sister and I were born. Dad would be 73 if he were alive.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. Thanks, also, for praying for my mom.

Martha said...

My dad is no longer with me either, it's been 8 years. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about him and miss him.
Nice tribute to your dad (((hugs)))

Tumblewords: said...

Lovely tribute to your Dad! Mine's been gone for a long time and as nearly as I can tell, one NEVER gets old enough to not miss parents.

Anonymous said...

Great mutterings! I love your Jon Stewart and the Daily Show. I hope opportunity knocks for each of us.

Karen said...

I don't even want to think about the day I'll lose either parent--from what I hear from you and others, it's a loss that you never get over.

Okay, now for more frivolous matters:

Love affair::Happily married
Bubble::Champagne
Pimple::Teenager
Knocks::Come in
Persistent::Annoying
Infected::Go away
Yay::Celebrate!
Repaint::Fresh
Daily::News
Quickly::Now

Mom Knows Everything said...

My father was 20 on that day. He passed away also and I miss him a lot.

Momisodes said...

This was so sweet. I really enjoy reading about you and your family. What an incredible tribute to your father. I can sense how special the relationship was between you both.

Thank you for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails