Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Thursday, May 1, 2008

T-13 #22 - Modified Meme of Fours (part 2)

Modified Meme of Fours
(part 2)

Ivanhoe tagged me for 'The Meme of Fours' after being tagged by her new blogging buddy Life, or Something Like It. As written, this meme has 7 categories with 4 things in each, but I've modified it to have just 3 categories with 4 items plus an extra item to make a total of 13 for a previous Thursday Thirteen post (#20) ... and have decided to use the remaining categories today.

4 Places I’ve Been:

1. All over the United States in multiple trips throughout my lifetime. One particularly memorable extended vacation was with my sister. We spent 13 weeks during the summer of 1966 meandering through the USA in her new Plymouth Barracuda. We headed East through the Southern states ... eventually arriving in Florida ... turned North and explored the East coast all the way through Maine before heading West to the Great Lakes Region. We entered Canada to visit relatives near Lake Superior ... returned to the USA and ventured through Northern states before returning to Southern California. Throughout my married life, my husband and I traveled extensively in a 16' trailer ... periodically meeting up with 'his Minnesota relatives' to visit in various locales.

2. My sister and I spent 11 weeks during the summer of 1967 visiting 10 European countries in the company of other teachers like ourselves. On that trip we spent a week with my 'pen pal' (who I'd written to since 5th grade) and her family in England.

3. I've taken two cruises ... one to Alaska and the other to the Caribbean.

4. Some of our favorite 'water-skiing' trips were multiple vacations on Lake Powell and Lake Shasta where my extended family rented houseboats for a week or more.

4 Favorite Foods:

5. Fresh fruit ... especially strawberries, blueberries, cantelope, pineapple, and bananas.
6. Avocados on everything ... (especially in salads) ... but also with bacon, lettuce, & tomatoes on toasted whole grain bread ...(occasionally with a little sliced onion).
7. Belgian waffles with maple syrup ... and those multi-grain pancakes at IHOP are YUMMY!
8. Sushi and all kinds of seafood ... especially the 'Seven-Spice Ahi' at Duke's!

4 CDs I enjoy listening to:

9. All of Andrea Bocelli's recordings ... and some of Josh Groban's.
10. Barbra Streisand's 'HIGHER GROUND'
11. Anything of James Taylor's ... I own them all ;--)
12. Anything and everything by the Eagles

13. As per directions, Ivanhoe tagged the following bloggers: Comedy Plus, My LA Blog, Are we there yet?, Small Reflections, but I tag anyone who would like to play ... just as I did in my 1st Meme of Four T-13 post!

If you decide to join the fun ... feel free to 'modify' it as you choose.
Do it 'all in one fell swoop' as Ivanhoe did ... mix and match to suit your own needs ... posting as a T-13 or not.

Like in my previous post ... As an incentive, I offer your choice of the following awards if you leave a link to your Meme of Four, Kind Fives, Make a Wish, and/or Message in a Bottle post here.

(courtesy of MPJ)

(courtesy of Misty Dawn)

If you missed my 200th post yesterday
it has more awards to choose from
as does T-13 #20

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

View More Thursday Thirteen Participants

Get the Thursday Thirteeen code here!

For easy access, I’ve listed more T-13 links along with the
Thursday Thirteen Blogroll to the bottom of my sidebar.

Thought for Today
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." Goethe

31 comments:

Ivanhoe said...

Thanks for playing! I am drooling here over your food choices (except the sushi :o) And look at you, little traveler! Have you seen Prague while in Europe? Happy TT!

Barb said...

I'm envious of your travelogue! I hope to travel to Italy in 5 years with my sisters: that's our current plan!

We enjoy the same music, although I haven't listened to Barbra Streisand in quite some time. I have & adore all of Bocelli's CD's, Josh Groban, Placido Domingo... Oh, how I love a good tenor! James Taylor, I have all of his, too!

Anonymous said...

Great meme! And what a wonderful idea to do it for your TT. It makes a great Friday blog .... so I'll try it soon!

Anonymous said...

Your trip to Europe with your sister sounded wonderful- what an experience, both for the journey and for sharing it with your sister! I would love to do that with my sister...perhaps we could explore Scotland togather, where she lives..

Loved your T13!! Mine is up at:
http://bellamocha.wordpress.com/2008/05/01/thursday-thirteen-9/

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

That's some awesome fun with the meme. Nicely done!

Akelamalu said...

I enjoyed reading that!

Love your choice of music, I absolutely adore the Eagles. Have you got their new CD - it's brilliant. :)

Robin said...

I love James Taylor and the Eagles. Great stuff.

Very clever idea for a TT.

pussreboots said...

I love avocados too. Happy TT.

Denise Patrick said...

Great list - especially all the traveling. I love to travel and have done quite a bit, but not nearly enough.

Happy TT and thanks for visiting mine!

maryt/theteach said...

Great Meme of Fours and TT13 combined! Nice job! :D

Betty said...

I enjoyed your meme for today. It's a great way for others to get to know you a little better, and I feel like I do.

I am amazed at how much you get done where it comes to blogging. I can barely keep up one blog let alone like you do with two.

Hope you are having a good day.

anthonynorth said...

That's a lot of travelling.
I'm envious.

storyteller said...

Ivanhoe – You’re welcome. I figured I might as well do the rest before I lost track of the questions. Yup … if memory serves, we were there for two days. I kept a journal as I traveled … but it’s been almost 40 years since I was there so the ‘details’ are vague in my mind. Is that where you’re from?

WillThink4Wine – I’m not surprised to learn of more commonalities between us after reading your 101 Things the other day. Hope everything works out for your trip to Italy with your sisters.

Claudia – Thanks. I try to do memes on Mondays … but since I’d done half a couple of weeks ago, I figured I should finish the rest. I’ll look forward to yours whenever you post it.

Bella Mocha – I highly recommend such trips. My sister and I enjoyed both of those trips together and intended to take others, but we each got married in 1968 … so we ended up traveling together with our husbands … and eventually her kids instead. I hope you do get to travel with your sister. It's the best!

Susan – There were way too many questions to do the whole thing at once, but dividing it up into two posts ‘worked’ better for me. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Akelamalu – Actually I don’t have the new one … so maybe I’ll have to break my non-shopping streak and get it ;--)

Robin – I figured I was ‘dating myself’ by sharing my preferences … but what the hey! There’s really no point hiding the fact that I’m 63 ;--)

Pussreboots – I’m grateful they’re available just about year-round here in So Cal.

Denise – I’ve kind of lost the ‘wanderlust’ I had when I was younger and don’t travel nearly as much these days, but I sure enjoyed my road trip to Taos, New Mexico last summer … so maybe I’ll plan another trip sometime soon.

the teach – I couldn’t bring myself to write to either last week’s or this week’s T-13 prompt and figured I should finish what I started in part 1 a couple of weeks ago. I’m relieved to find others didn’t follow the ‘rulez’ either today.

Betty – I’m amazed at how much information about me is ‘out there’ on my blog already … and as a rule I use T-13s for sharing other kinds of info even though it’s stated purpose is to get acquainted. That said, like you I enjoy learning more about others when I visit their blogs. As for keeping up with two blogs … some days are easier than others. I’ve still not posted at Sacred Ruminations yet today even though I intended to participate in Pensieve’s new meme … and it’s possible I’ll wind up putting that off until NEXT week since it’s already 3:30 in the afternoon here in So Cal.

Anthony – Most of it was done when I was much younger … though I do enjoy cruises … and am thinking of the Mediterranean as a possibility once I save up the money ;--)

Thanks to everybody for visiting today and sharing your thoughts. I love finding comments on my posts! If I’ve not been to your blog yet, I’ll get there eventually … possibly over the weekend when life slows down a bit. Hope you’re having a wonderful day!
Hugs and blessings,

Jane said...

I like your idea. May have to borrow it sometime. I can see your are a fruit lover, so you live in the right place! I love Belgian waffles too - I eat mine with cherries or strawberries, ice cream, whipped cream and a dusting of icing sugar. Groannnn....

PamelaMKramer said...

I'll be Alaska was amazing! Happy
TT.

Anonymous said...

Cool idea for a TT!

Happy Thursday!

PJ said...

10 European countries in 1967....Now that sounds like an entire book of stories!!!! I loved Budapest! But it wasn't 1967. :)

storyteller said...

Hazel Nut – You’re welcome to borrow the idea anytime and I hope you’ll let me know if (or when) you do so I can read your answers to get better acquainted. Maybe you could leave a link? Like you, I could easily get carried away with topping on my Belgian Waffles … but as a Weight Watchers I try to think about ‘points’ and not overdo ;--)

Pamela – Alaska WAS amazing and so was the Caribbean. Cruising is a fun way to travel without dealing with the hassle of luggage all the time. My sister and her husband did a 30 day RV caravan tour of Alaska the summer before last and sent photos. That was an awesome trip too!

Mommy Ba – Thanks … I enjoyed it more than making an ‘alphabet’ list today.

PJ – I suppose it does now that you mention it ;--)

I appreciate each of you visiting and sharing your feedback today.
Hugs and blessings,

Mother of Invention said...

You've travelled a lot! I love James T and The Eagles too!

Lori said...

I love Avocados!! Guacamole is the best:) Happy TT. Great list. Thanks for stopping by.

Karen said...

Wow. You have traveled a bunch.

http://www.chatbugkaren.com/2008/05/01/thankful-thirteeen/

Anonymous said...

The 4 meme is very cool - I may have to steal it from you at some point!!!

Momisodes said...

I too am envious of your travels! I hope to do more of it in the years to come.

LOL! Something about Californians and avocados ;) I never liked them before living there, but now, I can't get enough!

Hootin Anni said...

What an excellent T-13. I enjoyed reading this a lot.

I've been to most all the USA too, and several times to Old Mexico resorts. That's about it. LOL

And your fruit list makes me drool. I love the same. Colorado's Rocky Ford cantaloupe is tops. So sweet, so juicy. I'd have to add apples to that list of yours and cherries. LOL

But the sushi? No way. No no no!! Raw fish? ::gag:: rofl

Have a terrific day Storyteller.

Anonymous said...

Belated congrats on your 200th post. Andrea Bocelli... I always tear up with I listen to him.

Karen said...

Another fun one! I love learning more about you! Where did you go in Europe?

I'm feeling slightly envious of the fact you have a sister--it seems like sisters are more likely to be close than brothers & sisters. I can't imagine travelling with my brother, and that saddens me.

storyteller said...

Mother of Invention – I traveled most extensively in my 20s and 30s … and tend to be more of a ‘homebody’ these days, but there are places I’d love to see so I’ll probably continue to take occasional trips. I suppose my taste in music ‘dates’ me a bit ;--)

Lori – Yez … guacamole is delicious indeed!

Karen (chatbug) – Thanks for visiting Small Reflections and leaving the link to your T-13. Gratitude posts are my favorite kind and I found yours delightfully down to earth! Well done ;--)

Annie – No need to ‘steal’ … consider it a ‘gift’ or a ‘tag’ if you choose and let me know when (or if) you decide to do it. Remember the remaining questions are in my T-13 #20 from a couple of weeks ago.

Sandy – I hope you’re able to travel as much as you’d like … though traveling with kids can be more challenging. I realize I neglected to add ‘artichokes’ to my ‘favorite foods’ list … but we Californian’s seem to love those too ;--)

Hootin’ Anni – Now that you mention them … I like apples and cherries too! I hope you enjoyed your ‘day off’ with your sweetie ;--)

Nekked Lizard Lady – Thanks … it’s been a fun ‘ride’ so far. Bocelli’s voice touches me deeply as well … especially in his native Italian.

Karen – I wonder if I can recall all 10 countries now? We landed in Belgium … went to Holland next where we visited the birthplace of our maternal grandparents. If memory serves, we saw parts of Germany, France, Switzerland (where we snow-skied for the very 1st time), Italy, Yugoslavia, Austria, Poland, and England. Maybe while I’m clearing out ‘clutter’ my journals of those trips will turn up to refresh my memory … but I remember buying milk in plastic bags and eating LOTS of cucumber & tomato salad served with most meals. As for siblings … I was blessed with both. It was my brother who taught me to water-ski and we took MANY trips to Lake Havasu and Lake Powell together. Of course, my sister was there too … and once we were each married … spouses and kids accompanied us as well ;--)

I appreciate finding your comments this morning as I think about what I’m going to ‘ku about today. Hope you have a fantastic Friday!
Hugs and blessings,

Tina Coruth said...

Storyteller,

You certainly had some great trips! Let's see, in the summer of '69, my friend and I went to Cape Cod in her old, red chevy. LOL

I love Andre Bocelli, Josh Groban and the Eagles. Avocados are delicious - even the sorry ones we get around here. LOL

This was a fun meme to get to know you better.

hugs,
Tina

Mary said...

Storyteller,

I enjoyed your meme and learning more about you. I love you favorite foods. Delicious and you've made me hungry. LOL

Here is the link to my Message in a Bottle meme.

http://maryswritingnook.blogspot.com/2008/04/message-in-bottle-meme.html

Have a wonderful weekend.
Blessings,
Mary

Mary said...

PS. I am posting the other meme tomorrow.

storyteller said...

Tina – Yez … I’ve been fortunate throughout my life and it’s been fun thinking about those times periodically as I participate in ‘memes’ here in the Blogosphere. I’ll bet you had a great time in that old red Chevy … and perhaps you’ll share that story one day on your blog?

Mary – Thanks for the link to your Message in the Bottle meme. I’ll try to drop by to see it and to catch up. Since my ‘memory issues’ on my laptop, I’ve not been visiting as many blogs as often … but I hope to remedy that soon.

I appreciate each of you checking in here and sharing your thoughts. Have a wonderful weekend!
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails