Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Friday, May 9, 2008

Haiku Friday #37 - Focus on Thinking

Happy Mother's Day

I hope that you're all
planning something delightful
in addition to

whatever else your
family does ... Make it a
day to remember!

Thanks to Scylla at Law & Motherhood for this cool Haiku button

Many of you moms
diligently raising kids
may be in'trested

in the T-13
I posted here yesterday
highlighting clear 'signs'

of 'improved' thinking ...
observable ... yet precise
methods to measure

and facilitate
growth ... development ... in your
children and yourselves

as you interact
with 'curriculum' and those
who might be engaged

in the process of
education in our schools.
Listening to the

thought-provoking link
will uplift (and entertain)
while raising a few

issues worthy of
reflection and discussion ...
Together we can

make a difference
focusing on 'creative
capacity' might

shift the 'focus' of
schools to help our children thrive
Just 'imagine' this!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

For a Mr. Linky to other Haiku Fridays
go to A Mommy Story or
Playgroups are no Place for Children.

To see more previous Haikus,
click on the Haiku Friday label below this post
or in the sidebar under About Me.

Thought for Today
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." attributed to Harry S. Truman


15 comments:

Akelamalu said...

When is Mother's day there, we had it in March?

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the Mother's Day wishes! And it is hard to imagine schools ever changing, but they really MUST.

Hootin Anni said...

:::phew:::

I tellya, I don't know about anyone else with Blogger, but I'm sure having a bit of trouble getting through to visit some. Not all, but some. It's so slow loading the last two days. Yesterday my cable modem acted funny, I couldn't get it working right, and a long time spent on the phone with the ISP.

Today, it's still very sluggish acting.

But, I will try and leave a comment here...if the T-13 won't reload for me, I want to leave here with my best wishes for a wonderful weekend. If you celebrate Mother's Day --have a great one!!!

storyteller said...

Akelamalu – Mother’s Day in the USA is on Sunday, May 11th.

Jennifer – Yes … they MUST … and the sooner, the better ;--)

Hootin’ Anni – I’ve had some trouble leaving comments on some blogger accounts. Yours was quite sluggish this morning and so was Akelamalu’s (among others). I’m not sure what’s up, but Mike and Mary have both indicated problems leaving comments here at Small Reflections in recent weeks too. I wish I knew how to ‘fix’ whatever the problem is. I thought MY issues were simply ‘memory-related’ with my old laptop, but even after freeing up memory … some sites are challenging for me currently. I’m glad you hung in there today. Thanks … and Happy Mother’s Day to you!

I appreciate all three of you visiting and hope you’re having a fantastic Friday!
Hugs and blessings,

Jules said...

Thanks for dropping by. You write the most amazing haiku! Love it!

Anonymous said...

I read the 13 & am rather inquisitive: do you like Montessori? Having taught in a public school, my kiddo will never step foot in one (through college!) EVER. But, I've been very hesitant to say parochial for sure...home for sure...it's such a toughie.

storyteller said...

Jules – It’s MY pleasure because love Haiku Friday and try to visit as many participants as possible each week. Thanks for returning the visit and for your lovely compliment here ;--)

AnglophileFootballFanatic - I don’t really know enough about Montessori to offer an ‘informed’ opinion. I understand your attitudes toward public school … though believe it’s unwise to paint ALL public education with the same brush. It really comes down to the actual ‘teachers’ kids encounter along the way and the ongoing collaborative interaction between parents, teachers, and students. In addition, it's my belief that parents and educators need to engage in continuous dialogue with ‘policy makers’ raising questions about our societal ‘definitions’ of what constitutes ‘quality’ education and what ‘methods’ are best for achieving desirable outcomes. That said … I’m ‘relieved’ to be ‘out of the test-driven system’ myself … though I do believe free public education is essential for our nation’s future. Educating kids ‘at home’ or in ‘parochial’ schools provides benefits and liabilities too … but you’re right … it’s a tough decision no matter what! I don't know whether or not you had time to watch the video clip of Sir Ken Robinson, but he raises the kinds of issues I believe NEED to be at the forefront of those 'policy' discussions and our own decisions about educating children.

I appreciate each of you stopping by and sharing your thoughts. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and a Happy Mother’s Day!!!
Hugs and blessings,

Karen said...

I continue to fascinated by this--I want to do better for my son!

Anonymous said...

charter schools can be a very good choice, depending on where you live. and, yes, they are controversial, traditional public schools generally don't like them, but my kids did wonderful, were learning and loving learning and my input was valued and even encouraged!

Joy Des Jardins said...

I loved this Haidu Virginia. I noticed some comment about trouble with Blogger comments.....me too. I've had to leave some other sites because I couldn't leave comments there. Gosh that's frustrating when that happens. Hope this one goes through. Have a wonderful weekend my dear friend....

Here goes....clicking through...cross your fingers...

storyteller said...

Karen – Methinks continuing to ‘be fascinated by this’ and lovingly paying attention to your son will guide you to provide appropriate and necessary guidance for his development … now and always.

TransplantingMe – Some ‘charter schools’ provide excellent alternatives … but just as it’s not wise to paint all public (or private) educational facilities with the same brush … not all charter schools are wonderful either. In my opinion, it’s the ‘collaborative efforts’ that tend to make the most difference.

Joy – I’m so sorry about the frustrations with Blogger comments currently and I certainly hope they ‘fix’ whatever is causing the problem quickly.

Happy Mother’s Day to all of you!!! I hope it’s the best ever ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Melissa said...

Excellent sentiments!

storyteller said...

Melissa – Thanks for taking time to read and respond ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Tina Coruth said...

Storyteller,

Excellent! Thank you for sharing!

hugs,
Tina

storyteller said...

Tina – You’re quite welcome. It was my pleasure to do so. You know how I love Haiku ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails