Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ten on Tuesday #7 - Favorite Pastimes


If you're looking for Heads or Tails
it's the post below this one!

The prompt this week is
10 Favorite Time Wasters

I don't like to 'waste' time ... I prefer to USE it ... so I've shifted the focus today slightly to my

1o Favorite Pastimes.

1. Reading
- right now it's A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS by Khalid Hosseini

books

2. Writing -
in my journal each morning to clear my head and gain focus for the day

3. Gardening -
I'm hoping the gopher doesn't devastate my plants from underground tunnels below the surface


4. Walking
(with and without Molly) - preferably along the ocean

5. Watching TENNIS
(especially during major championships) - The French Open started last Sunday and coverage on 'the Tennis Channel' seems to be 'FREE' ... so I've got my DVR set to RECORD play while I'm at my Photoshop Elements class this morning.

6. Meeting up with friends and visiting together - often over breakfast or lunch


7. Learning new things - like I'm doing with my Photoshop Elements class (see Photo Fun for an example)

8. BLOGGING and making new friends - in the virtual and the REAL world too!

9. Reconnecting with old friends - yesterday I got a phone call from a High School friend I'd not talked to in DECADES and we had a fun conversation for over an hour. She lives on the other side of the nation in North Carolina and used Skype to call me from her computer after doing a 'search' on the Internet.

10. I'm not sure it's 'favorite' because it's last on today's list, but clearing out clutter and simplifying my life HAVE become priorities ... and I devote at least an hour each day to that task.

(Click for others participating this week)

Thought for Today
"The real problem of leisure time is how to keep others from using yours." Arthur Lacey

14 comments:

Karen said...

Love the thought for the day--so very, very true!

I like your pastimes--possibly because I do all those things, too...

Joyce said...

Dear Storyteller,
I so agree with you, that time is to be used, not wasted. Sometimes, though, I still feel guilty when I'm not physically WORKING, even if an activity is worthwhile. I still have some growing up to do, I guess. :)

Hope you have a lovely day.

Akelamalu said...

What lovely pastimes! :)

Cookie said...

What a lovely list.

ShannonW said...

I like how you changed it to Favorite Pastimes :) I tend to think of my list that way also.

Keri said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by. I think you've got a great idea about putting pic in there like that. It makes it more appealing.
Take care!!
Keri

Momisodes said...

What a great list of pastimes. I aspire to many of those. Especially the simplifying of life :) You are so wise with your time. That is fabulous you reconnected with your high school friend.

storyteller said...

Karen – It seems we do have lots of things in common. I did this post hurriedly this morning … (distractedly thinking about getting to class on time) … as I realized I’d forgotten to include it with my HoTs post … in fact methinks I was still ‘editing’ (as in cleaning up errors) when you passed through this morning. I might have included a few other things … like ‘leisurely baths’ and ‘watching the birds in my yard’ …but given the time constraints, I’m okay with it ‘as is’ ;--)

Joyce – The older I get, the more essential it is for me to choose wisely when using my time. I have gotten over the need to ‘work’ to feel worthwhile.

Akelamalu – I’m one lucky gal ;--)

Cookie – Thanks!

Shannon – Until I shifted focus from ‘time wasters’ to ‘pastimes’ … my mind was ‘blank’ because I don’t ‘waste’ time these days … although once upon a time I did.

Keri – It was my pleasure to visit! I’m glad you enjoyed the pictures. If I’d had time, there would have been more … but perhaps three is enough ;--)

Sandy – I hope you’re feeling better. It’s only been the last few years that I’ve had the leisure time to devote to such pastimes … though I’ve ALWAYS been a reader of books and I’ve kept a journal for decades too. As for the call from Nancy … I was amazed (and delighted) myself to reconnect in this way and she gave me phone numbers for 5 other friends from high school … so I may be doing some calling myself when time permits.

I appreciate you all visiting and sharing your thoughts. Hope your Tuesday was as interesting and enjoyable as mine.
Hugs and blessings,

Hootin Anni said...

They all sound like winning favorites to me! I have the book you're reading too, but haven't started it yet. I read the Kite Runner...it was super!!

Sonya said...

I agree with you. I try not to waste time but use every second I have! I do many of the same things as you, except I watch FOOTBALL as much as you watch tennis!

Love the thought for the day!

jeanne kristine said...

hi, thank's for visiting my blog. 10 things on Tuesday is different with 10 on Tuesday. So it's not a different activity but it's definitely a different meme.
Happy blogging!

storyteller said...

Hootin’ Anni – I loved KITE RUNNER and am enjoying this one very much. It’s hard to put down once I pick it up … though I’m ‘distracted’ by tennis and my Photoshop class in addition to blogging, so progress is not as quick as I’d like.

Sonya – I used to watch football with my brother, but don’t watch much any more. There’s just not enough time for everything as is ;--)

KristineG – You’re quite welcome, and thanks for responding here to my question.

I appreciate you all stopping by and hope you’re each having a wonderful week.
Hugs and blessings,

Tina Coruth said...

Storyteller,

That's a great list. How do you like A THOUSAND SPLENDID SUNS? I have it on my books to read list. I read The Kite Runner. I think it is an excellent book.

hugs,
Tina

storyteller said...

Tina – Thanks for the feedback and the question. I found the book an ‘engaging read’ about the Afghan culture … hard to put down … but not quite as good a ‘story’ as KITE RUNNER … perhaps because of the subject matter.
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails