but most of all
she wants this to be a FUN Monday!!!!!
1. I mentioned & shared photos of my 'mug collection' last week after my 6th Fun Monday 'jerk' poem, and I seem to recall previously sharing some photos of 'holiday mug favorites' on my other blog last December, but I don't seem to be able to find it at the moment so am unable to provide a link. Here are just a few more from one cupboard ...
Many of these mugs came to me a 'gifts' from family members, friends, and former students over the years... and I tend to hold on to 'stuph' indefinitely rather than get rid of things. As a result, I have an overabundance of mugs ... (some on display and others in cupboards like the one pictured above). Although I no longer do much entertaining at all, I don't seem to be able to let any of these mugs go.
2. Books surround me. I have multiple bookcases in every room of my house ... literally. Here is a split photo showing the upper & lower shelves of just one. All are filled with books I've read and annotated. In addition, just about any horizontal surface in my house collects stacks of unread books. Some have told me my house resembles a library with lots of comfortable seating.
3. Along with the books written by others, I've got about 30 years worth of journals I've filled with daily writing of my own ... collecting Memories. All I need do is pick one up and read to return to moments from my past.
4. Giraffes of all sizes and shapes inhabit my living space with me ... metal, wooden, glass, ceramic, fabric, and a variety of other media ... together with framed paintings, drawings and plaques with giraffes on them. Then there are giraffe throw pillows, t-shirts, sweatshirts ... and more mugs with giraffes. There's even a photograph of a giraffe sculpture (in my sidebar) that I happened upon in Taos last summer ... and the one below I found at another blog a while back.
5. In addition, I have miscellaneous collections of ... silver jewelry (bracelets, necklaces, rings, and earrings) some with stones and some without ... comfortable shoes along with a variety of purses in different sizes & colors ... scarves & accessories for 'accents' to change the look of my clothing ... and photographs (LOTS of photographs). I've got my Mom's collection of LP records and sheet music ... and the cedar chest my Dad gave her their first Christmas together filled with her belongings.
Throughout my life I've been a 'collector' of all sorts of stuff and the truth is that things seem to accumulate themselves around me in my house and in my car ... so my environment is consistently 'cluttered' ... even though I've been making a concerted effort to simplify my surroundings in recent months. I've stopped shopping for anything other than consumables ... groceries, gasoline, pet food & treats, etc. ... so hopefully I'll eventually succeed in getting rid of all that I no longer need or want by sticking with the process of letting a few things go each and every day and not bringing any new items in ;--)
Thought for Today
"The sculptor produces the beautiful statue by chipping away such parts of the marble block as are not needed -- it is a process of elimination." Elbert Hubbard