Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Friday's Fave Five - Beauty - Just for the Joy of It

Make Time for Small Reflections
Scroll down for Camera Critters


1. My yard may be small, but I love to tend my garden and photograph it at different times of day ... just for the JOY of it! This red Fuschia once hung in a basket at my previous home near South Coast Plaza more than 35 years ago. I brought it with me when we moved here in 1980 ... hung the basket from the eaves just above where it grows in the ground now. The basket deteriorated long ago (I don't recall just when) but the plant took root in the ground (much to my surprise) and this is what it looks like today.




2. Methinks that the yellow blossoms (and the single orange one) that I misidentified previously as 'Crocus' are actually Freesia, but whatever they are ... I think they're lovely and am delighted they've bloomed so much earlier than usual this year. The nearby shoots are Iris and Daffodil ... white & yellow in color if memory serves.

3. On Wednesday I drove into Cerritos to enjoy lunch at BJs with my sister ... after which we walked through a couple of parks near her home since we had about 90 minutes to fill before my scheduled haircut & perm at 2pm in Long Beach. She decided to 'wake up' this goose so I could snap some action photos ... just for the JOY of i! I'm relieved to have short hair with a new perm ... good to go for another 6 weeks.



Click to embiggen for better viewing
and for others participating in
Camera Critters

4. The skies have been variable as weather fronts pass through and I shared stormier skies at Sacred Ruminations for Sky Watch yesterday ... along with a bit of haiku, just for the JOY of it! These skies are more 'typical' sky views from my world, also from last week.



5. Mary the teach at Work of the Poet has suggested we find and share examples of Yard Art on Thursdays. I decided to participate at Happily Retired Gal yesterday and created a Yard Art Logo to use and share with others ... just for the JOY of it!

Click for others participating in
Finding Beauty,
Friday's Fave Five,
and (belatedly again) Just for the Joy of It


(for those who might be wondering what I've been up to lately)

I've been busier than usual so I've not been able to do much blog visiting again this week, but I'm hoping to catch up over the weekend. In addition to the Tuesday & Thursday Digital Media classes from 8:30-11:30am, I'll be off to class again at 8am today (and next Friday too). I've decided to use the second and third 'complimentary passes' issued to us when we missed 5 of 12 sessions in my last class (for Monday holidays & in-service days) to take a two-part Friday class, learning how to use Windows Movie Maker. It's apparently a 'free' program on all PCs.

I'm scheduled to meet friends at the pier around noon for lunch at Ruby's then a walk around the Friday Craft Fair & Farmer's Market ... and when I return home I'll be calling about my Plan D Prescription non-coverage (yet again). Apparently it's been denied for a second time (for missing information even though I've given ALL the info multiple times previously) ... so perhaps the third time will be the charm? Wish me luck.

I spent most of yesterday afternoon on the phone with Dell Tech Support ... first with 'Jason' who passed me off to 'Sean' for some 'diagnostic testing' ... and while I was running those tests on the 1720, I ran them on the old 9100. Apparently it's my hard drive that has 'failed' and if I want to replace it, I can do so for about $70 ... upgrading from a 60GB drive to a 160GB drive. I'm thinking about it ... but am wondering what ELSE might fail on the older laptop if I replace the drive.

After about 45 minutes, Sean decided all was well with basic laptop functions and memory so he transferred me to 'Vinnie' (in networking) who (after listening to me explain yet again that the WLAN card wasn't working properly causing the laptop to crash several times daily) had me download & run two programs: one to install a new driver for my malfunctioning WLAN card and the other to 'flash my BIOS' from A08 to A09. He seems to think these actions will resolve my issues.

While running the diagnostics and installing the downloads, I was asked about any other problems. When I mentioned the sticky keys (l, q, a, s, u, m, v) Vinnie said they'd send me a new keyboard module for my Inspiron 1720. He had me remove & replace the existing one so that I'd know how to put the new one in once it arrives (in 2-3 working days) before I send the old one back. Interestingly, the 'l' key no longer sticks at all but the 'h' key does ... strange, right? Annoying too because BOTH keys get lots of use when I type. Several others continue to stick intermittently so I'll be glad to get this issue resolved.

'Vinnie' is scheduled to call me back on Sunday at 1pm for a 'follow-up' to be sure the computer 'crash issues' are resolved. I've got my fingers crossed (of course that and the sticky keys makes typing more challenging). In addition ... he explained that the 'dim screen display' when running on 'battery' is partially a function of the 17" screen on my laptop. I guess I'll (ceck tat out wit oter) ... sigh ... 'check that out with other' manufacturers.

Actually, I'm feeling a bit better about Dell Tech Support today. My call was answered promptly, and there wasn't much of a wait to reach a technician initially. All three of the guys who assisted me were professional & patient ... much like I remember Dell Tech Support being years ago, so perhaps they've made support a priority again? I certainly hope so and if this resolves my crash issues, I'll be a happier blogger again.
Hope you have a delightful day
and a wonderful weekend!

Small Reflections ... Smile Back

Thought for Today
"Let the beauty of what you love be what you do." Rumi

31 comments:

pam said...

ahhhhhh...flowers....so looking forward to seeing my yard come to life...perhaps in a couple of months...COLOR..

Unknown said...

great 5...Just for the Joy of it! I love it! Have a great day!

Sharon said...

Drooling. Can't wait to spring. We still have two feet of snow! but the sun is out today... Hope springs eternal!

Karen said...

I'm so glad I found your peaceful corner in the blogosphere. Lovely photos!

Akelamalu said...

My eyes glazed over whilst reading all the technical stuff - I just have NO idea at all about all that stuff. :(

Ginny Hartzler said...

We have Canada Geese around here, but these don't look like those. They must be a different kind. Extremly pretty! I hope you take pictures and post them of the Farmer's Market and Craft Fair! I'm so glad to hear about your Dell tech session!! A driver!! They are just so pesky, aren't they? All just specific to the computer brand, so local repair people rarely can diagnose it when one is needed. I await a repot on how everything is running! Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Jerralea said...

I enjoyed your 5 and definitely loved the pictures of your garden! I'm thinking about Spring more and more!

Momisodes said...

Wow! What a pleasant surprise it took the ground. I can hardly wait for some signs of Spring here as well.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

LeAnn said...

It was nice to see the pictures of you garden. I am a gardener wanna be, so these posts inspire me. :)

Susanne said...

That is amazing that the fushia did that. It looks lovely on the corner.

What kind of geese are those? We have a bazillion Cananda geese here but I've never seen the likes of those. They're gorgeous.

Sherri@lavenderfields said...

Your yard looks great! I was wondering if those were Daffodils or Day Lilys and then you said. I was so wanting to have day lilys in my yard and shoot I forgot to plant the bulbs in the fall. I am really kicking myself now! I love the look of the yellow flowers with the ornamental looking grass around them. Thanks for your wonderful pictures and have a great weekend! Sherri : )

Denise Marie said...

I love, love, love the duck momma.

Willow said...

I love your flowers! Isn't it great to be able to grow flowers year round here? What a great park--I think I recognized it :)

Brenda said...

I always enjoy eating at BJ's.

The pictures of the geese are wonderful, they are such funny animals!

Misty DawnS said...

Love the pictures of the geese, especially the one with all of them in the yard. Awesome!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

HRG: What a regal goose, he looks the man in charge.

Carletta said...

I loved sharing the JOY with you.
Wonderful geese shots! There certainly were a lot of them in that park. :)

ksdoolittle said...

Great goose mosaic!! Enjoyed your other photos, as well. You are one busy gal! Good luck w/your 'puter. ~ks

Martha said...

Love your great Camera Critters shots this week! :-)

Martha said...

I just noticed this blog is over 100 followers now - please accept the 100 award over at my blog on my Camera Critters post too! :-)

eileeninmd said...

I just love those pretty flowers. Cool shot of the geese. Wonderful photos.

George said...

I really like the look of your yard. It may be small, but it definitely is pretty. It sounds as if your computer problems are close to being solved. I hope that is truly the case.

SquirrelQueen said...

I love your five, the flowers and critters are great. I hope your computer problems are solved. What you described should do the trick, sounds like you got really good tech support.

Crafty Green Poet said...

beautiful colourful flowers and handsome geese!

Unknown said...

Love your cute yard! I also love that goose! Am always thrilled when I see one - think their colors are so beautiful!

ellen b. said...

Love the light in your garden in these shots. How fun to be able to meet up with your sister and enjoy the afternoon. That goose is a beauty!!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Those are retty flowers that are growing in your garden, and the geese were so plump!

Computer problems can be so frustrating ..glad that Dell support was helpful!

penny said...

The geese and flowers are delightful. Thanks for sharing your fav. 5!
Have a nice day :)

Karen said...

Isn't it easy to find joy when we make an effort to go looking for it?! Beautiful!!

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

Ah, the flowers! They're everywhere on the internet these days. I think we're all thinking, "Spring!"

I can't get over how MUCH you write. That's wonderful.

Happy weekend, happy spring.

Janice said...

Aww, love the goose!

Related Posts with Thumbnails