Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

YardArt-Just for the JOY of It-Thursday Thirteen

Make Time for Small Reflections
Scroll down for Just for the Joy of It
and Thursday Thirteen
Mary the teach at Work of the Poet
has asked bloggers to share Yard Art on Thursdays …
Lots of people who live near the beach
in Southern California ‘decorate’ their yards
(often in unique ways) so I’ll have a steady supply!
Here’s MY third contribution …
(click here for my first & second
at Happily Retired Gal)
None is from my yard!


This lion stands guard outside a home
in downtown Huntington Beach



Click to embiggen for better viewing
and for others participating in Yard Art on Thursdays



1. "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Albert Schweitzer

2. Temperatures today here at the beach were in the low 80s and people were all over the place ... sunning themselves on the sand, surfing, playing volleyball, walking on the pier, fishing and celebrating St. Paddy's Day downtown ... just for the JOY of it.


3. Not only was the weather cooperative, skies were so clear that we could see the snow on the mountains in the distance from the pier.


4.
"The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
Benjamin Franklin


5. A few pelicans were hanging around the pier and this handsome fellow put on quite an entertaining display ... just for the JOY of it. I'm always amazed at how BIG these birds are.





6. The 'bread vendor' (see #7 in last week's post if you missed him) was happy to give me a loaf of cheese bread WITH
jalapeƱos when I told him of the missing jalapeƱos in last week's loaf ... there aren't a LOT of them, but it IS tasty.


7. "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." H. Jackson Browne

8. This seagull elicited lots of treats from sympathetic passers by ... he has no left foot but seems to manage just fine.



9. I like my new Sony Vaio notebook very much and am delighted that the 'Vista' versions of software I own seems to run just fine in the Windows 7 environment on this 64-bit machine.


10. "Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad."
Norm Papernick


11. Tomorrow is the last day of my 'Digital Media' class in this session. Next week I begin a Windows 7 class ... just for the JOY of it! After class I'll be driving to Laguna Beach with friends around 11:15am to enjoy lunch and a play at the Laguna Playhouse. Life is good ;-)

12. Aren't these two labs adorable ... sleeping together (just for the JOY of it) as they wait patiently for their person downtown?


13. There is a wonderful mythical law of nature that the three things we crave most in life — happiness, freedom, and peace of mind — are always attained by giving them to someone else. Peyton Conway March
Click any image to embiggen for better viewing
and for others participating in
Just for the Joy of It
Thursday Thirteen


Small Reflections ... Smile Back

Thought for Today
"St. Patrick's Day is an enchanted time - a day to begin transforming winter's dreams into summer's magic."
Adrienne Cook

32 comments:

Unknown said...

Thoroughly enjoyed your list today....just for the joy of it.
Happy T13!

Mary Quast said...

Beautiful pix for the Joy of It. Loved the labs. It reminds me of my two. Happy T13.

Alice Audrey said...

I did not see nearly enough kilts today.

Carletta said...

That lion is some guard for the front door! :)
Love the shots of the pelicans!
Hope you had a wonderful St.Patrick's Day!

Janna said...

Great Photos and Quotes!

Stark Raving Mad! It makes me laugh every time.

Pamela said...

the snow in the distance from the Palm trees is just tooo odd. ha ha

Heather said...

Love the lion and pelican! As for the weather...we actually hit 60 this week, but now they're talking snow for Saturday. Sigh...gotta love spring in the Midwest!

Melissa said...

There is always a reason for laughter in a home with 3 small children!!!

Great photos! I live in the North, and it was in the 50's yesterday, and there were people EVERYWHERE after being cooped up all winter long. And my first few little crocuses decided to show their pretty colors!!! I love spring!

Melissa Mashburn said...

That was great! I enjoyed reading and looking at your photographs.

Gemma Wiseman said...

The lion looks very glamorous, stationed importantly by the steps! And love your little green man in the green hat and swinging kilt! He looks cute!

Ginny Hartzler said...

That's SOME lion! I don't think I would want to live in a house so big and fancy that it needed to be guarded by a lion. I've always thought of pelicans as drab, but you've found a beauty! His markings with the yellow are so pretty; not how I think of a pelican. Yes, new bread! My favorite quote is #10, it's so funny!

Americanising Desi said...

really a wonderful list

Upcoming and Awaited

I am Harriet said...

I love the labs :)

Have a great Thursday!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/03/hot-job-senior-citizen-whats/

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful series of photos! I love the dogs lying there like that! soo cute

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Love your Yard Art. Very regal looking lion. Have a great day!

Sherrie
A View of My Life

Akelamalu said...

Very regal lion! I love all your photos today, especially the Pelican. We saw one close up on holiday and they are HUGE!

80 degrees? It's about 56 degrees here and that's warm compared to what we've been used to! Roll on Spring and Summer! :)

Karen said...

What a wonderful list, storyteller--today's seems especially good for some reason. It made me feel really happy, scrolling through it (or was it that I was really happy BEFORE I started scrolling through it?)--thank you so much!

colleen said...

That was so uplifting. Thank you. It made me want to expand my life just for the joy of it!

maryt/theteach said...

Storyteller, very impressive yard art! I have a photo of some Chinese lions that I have to post one of these days! Your photo will go in with the other yard art photos in my slideshow on my sidebar... :)

Quiet Paths said...

Loved the yard photos; what a neat idea. The lion could be sitting outside our home! Love the quotes this week too. In the 80's. No thank you. Not for March! Have a great day out in the sunshine.

ellen b said...

That Lion is such a regal form of yard art! I like it :0)

Patti said...

I like that Lion, Storyteller, and last week's dog yard art was cute!

Wow - you got some excellent pelican captures!

I hope you enjoyed St. Patrick's Day. We are having the traditional dinner Saturday. Busy week!

Robin said...

A lion seems so presumptuous for the front door of a private home, but maybe it's just because I associate lions like that with the NY Public Library, a very large and grandiose building.

Enjoy all that great weather you're having, ours is finally clearing up here too. I can't wait to get outside again.

Sharon said...

Me thinks I might need to find a lion for my front porch...! It would fit in perfectly with my little farmhouse! (although the Pelican might work too....!)

Thanks for sharing your JOYs this week!

Janet said...

I remember that lion!

Unknown said...

Sooo nice to see you again - your post is lovely. The yard art, the birdies, the sunshine, etc...all wonderful.

I've been working so have missed you. Hope all is well.

Take care, friend and God bless.

EG CameraGirl said...

I especially love the pelicans. I have never seen them in the wild so they fascinate me.

Anonymous said...

i actually enjoy your writing taste, very interesting,
don't give up and keep penning because it simply well worth to follow it,
looking forward to read much more of your article content, good bye :)

George said...

It looks as if there are many things to be joyful about on such a beautiful day. I'm glad you like your new computer and that the software runs just fine on it.

Diane in AZ said...

I am amazed how big the pelicans are, nice captures. I also like the two sleeping labs, so cute!

Anonymous said...

Love your pelican very much! You are very lucky to have pelicans in your corner of the world. :)

SandyCarlson said...

I love those pelicans. They really are colorful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails