"The next assignment is ...
So ... here are some of MY QUIRKS in no particular order.
A quirk is defined as a peculiarity of action, behavior, or personality; mannerism. We are all unique individuals, having quirks that help make us who we are. I would like to know what your quirks are. Confess to one, confess to ten, you decide. Just come back Monday ready to spill the beans, the rest of the world may look at you like you are from Mars, but you‘re among friends here. We won’t laugh, in fact that eccentricity just may endear you to us more.
1. I almost always spell the word 'stuff' as 'stuph' ... and use 'the ellipse' often ... just because. It all started about 25 years ago as a whim ... when I adopted an 'e e cummings' style of interacting on Bulletin Boards and in Chat Groups online (before the World Wide Web became the Internet we know & love today) ... using no capital letters or punctuation (other than the ellipse).
2. I stopped this 'quirk' consciously (for the most part anyway although with some difficulty) when I noticed 'bad habits' creeping into my REAL LIFE writing ... but a few 'habits' lingered and some have 'revived themselves' ... pushing unconsciously to the forefront in the 8 months since I've started blogging ;--)
3. Occasionally I substitute the letter 'z' for 's' in wordz ... (like this) ... have allowed other idiosyncrasies to creep into my writing (semi-purposefully) ... for 'fun' .
4. You may have noticed I have a fondness for parenthetical asides and use single rather than double quotes most often when
I write. In addition, I love writing in Haiku along with other rhythmical forms of rhyming poetry ... I end my posts with a 'Thought for the Day' ... have many 'Quotes' in my sidebars ... and close my comments with 'Hugs and blessings'.
5. In many respects I'm a private person, but I do tend to share whatever's on my mind & happening in my life when I sit down to create posts ... much as I've always done when writing in my journal. First person present tense comes most easily to me ... though I'd love to be able to write in 3rd person past tense more fluently because telling stories (or sharing 'small reflections' from daily life) is my 'blogging' intention.
6. I love animals, words & books, the ocean, coffee in the mornings, and TENNIS but don't watch much TV (as a general rule) unless it's one of the 4 major tennis championships' or the Olympics.
7. I've been an avid reader all of my life (of both fiction and non-fiction) ... written daily in journals for decades (originally with a fountain pen in rather rigid rhyme & rhythm but shifted to mechanical pencils and a more spontaneous fluid 'visual' style) ... ignoring the lines on the page and eventually moving to unlined paper.
8. I'm told I have a 'twinkle in my eye' and a smile on my face always ... and I suspect I learned that from my Dad. I look strangers in the eye and nod or say hello often ... just because.
I've made some interesting friends in this manner.
9. I'm a 'saver' and always have been, so I'm surrounded by 'stuph' I don't need or want. I've made a conscious effort to 'simplify my life & environment' in recent years with only minimal success ... but believe that if I don't quit, I can't fail ... so I push on ... SLOWLY but steadily. It's helped immensely to give up shopping as recreation because I'm no longer bringing new 'stuph' into my home on any sort of regular basis ... and that's a good thing!
Well ... I just accidentally published this (don't quite know how because all I was doing was adding labels as I thought about a #10) ... so perhaps I'm finished? If so, all I need is a ...
Thought for Today
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." e e cummings, 1955