Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

"Over the River and Through the Woods to Grandmother's House we Go ... "

Hmm ... no horse ... no sleigh ... and no "Grandmother's house" any more in MY family (except for my brother's widow who lives in Hemet, but she's my age ... and we can't be old enough for this role, can we?) ... I plan to avoid mirrors today :-).

Until my siblings and I each got married (and for a few years afterwards), we observed Thanksgiving Day at home or with extended family. When we celebrated holidays with Dutch relatives on my Mom's side, it was always in someone's home ... with dinner served on the best dishes around a huge table, in a "formal" atmosphere, and staying out of trouble presented ongoing challenges, for I was the baby of the family, always trying to measure up to the "bigger kids" standards.

When I was born, my sister was 4 and my brother 9. Until my arrival, they had the dubious honor of being the youngest kids in the extended family because my mom was youngest of five and my dad second youngest of thirteen. Many of our cousins on my Dad's side of the family were married and had children our age & older by the time we arrived on the scene, so those were huge family gatherings ... often "potlucks" in a centrally located park ... where the men could play pinochle, the women visit while doing hand-crafts of some kind, and the kids entertain themselves playing together.

Turkey smells permeated the air and everyone helped with preparations. My mom's pies were the best! She made the thinnest, flakiest, melt-in-your-mouth crusts ever ... and I miss her presence here on earth. My Dad and brother have also passed on ... though memories fill my heart and soul.

Later, my siblings and I took turns having "Thanksgiving" at our respective homes. Mom always made pies, but we cooked turkey with all the trimmings ... and always invited what my brother-in-law laughingly referred to as "strays" ...(friends who for one reason or another couldn't celebrate with their own families)... to join our celebration. This year, my sister and her husband are off traveling in their RV (currently on the East Coast near Jekyll Island with two of my best friends and their husbands). They'll be celebrating the holiday together. How interesting that what goes around comes around ;-)

This year, my neighbor and friend who IS "Grandma" has invited me to share Thanksgiving at their house ... surrounded by kids, grandkids, and dogs of all sizes. Should be fun and I'm looking forward to the festivities. I wish you and yours a wonderful day of gratitude and fellowship.
Hugs and blessing,

6 comments:

Mother of Invention said...

Did you ever find the secret to your mom's pie crust?

Have a good holiday! Ours was way back in the middle of Oct.!

storyteller said...

M o I
I thoroughly enjoyed the holiday and (as I commented on Sacred Ruminations this morning) actually I'm relieved to have no leftovers to tempt me away from my usual hot oatmeal & banana breakfast. This time of year is dangerous to my weight.

Although I've answered your question regarding my efforts to recreate mom's pie crusts on my other site already, I'll repeat myself here just because ;)

I've long had her recipe, but never her hands or technique. I watched her year after year, taking notes here & there ... but somehow MY crusts just aren't as thin or "flakey" as hers. My sister's pie crusts come closer to mom's, but we both seem to be missing the "perfect pie crust gene"
Hugs and blessings,

Anonymous said...

I think the pie maker herself is the extra, secret ingredient. The love and attention count for a great deal in the final product.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Sounds like you had a very nice holiday with your neighbors. Those spontaneous celebrations with people other than your family can be such great fun. I'm sure everything was scrumptious. I managed to keep my actual T-Day dinner down to one helping of everything...but then I kind of blew it today with some of the leftovers.....RATS! And...I still have more left.

storyteller said...

Joy
I did have a wonderful time and feel grateful for so many blessings all the time. Like you, I managed to have just one plate with little tastes of many tasty dishes. Perhaps the prayer you created helped us both? I left before dessert was served because I'd been invited elsewhere, but once I got home and played with Molly, I felt ready for some peace and quiet ... so I missed the pumpkin pie. Such is life :)
Hugs and blessings,

storyteller said...

Karen
I almost skipped right by your comment (probably because I left a response on your blog yesterday). You're right of course. I know you enjoyed your "alone time" but suspect you're happy to have your two "fave fellas" back home (even if it's noisy & you have to share the bathroom).
Hugs and blessings,
st

Related Posts with Thumbnails