Welcome to Small Reflections


"Nothing is ever achieved without enthusiasm."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Duck photo source: Lisa's Chaos
I hope you enjoy your visit. If you're looking for something specific, check out the links to posts by category in my sidebar and down a ways. They'll assist with tracking down different types of posts found on each of my three blogs. You might also enjoy checking out the other sites: Sacred Ruminations, Blog Rolls, Bling & Blurbs, and Happily Retired Gal.

I hope you'll look around & leave comments
then visit me at my new blog ...

Giraffe Journal

and/or website ... Labyrinth Journal
both self-hosted at WordPress
where I publish as myself
rather than under a
pseudonym.

I've not had much time for posting or blog visits, but if you're interested I hope you'll find time to check out my new blog, Giraffe Journal or my Labyrinth Journal website ... both self hosted at WordPress.

Thanks for your visit and have a delightful day ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

One Single Impression - Week: 23: Folly

Make Time for Small Reflections
The prompt for Week 23 is Folly

Wikipedia
taught me something new today ...
In architecture,
buildings constructed
strictly for decoration
rather than 'shelter'
are referred to as
'folly' (in the sense of fun
or light-heartedness ...
not as ill-advised).
They exist all over the
English countryside
and across the world.
Who suspected this? Not I ...
yet I am intrigued.
Images found at Wikipedia
Click to read more about this subject.
Click for others participating in OSI this week.

Small Reflections ... Smile Back
Thought for Today
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."
Steven Wright

19 comments:

Raven said...

Delightful!

Anonymous said...

Storyteller. I enjoyed the photos. Hugs and Blessings! Mike G. said that!

The Fitness Diva said...

Very eye catching structures!

Akelamalu said...

I love follys, they're so much fun!

Anonymous said...

..a wonderfully constructive side of folly(also visited by maryt and
tumblewords)~thank u for a fine post..

Karen said...

I can't believe it--"folly" is a word that I've come across in many English novels. I've noted it, had a vague idea about what it meant, but never bothered to look it up! I never "got" its full meaning--I'm finding myself going back in my mind over those books and understanding a little better...

kitten said...

Very interesting!
Thanks for all your kind words!

Momisodes said...

I had no idea! Guess I learned something new today too :) That elephant is really impressive!

SandyCarlson said...

Well done, Storyteller. I have enjoyed experiencing this word this week through so many hearts and minds. Love what you did here.

Barb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barb said...

Thanks for this lovely post, Storyteller. I love Wikipedia! The blogging experience constantly is causing me to flex my brain! Many posts or prompts have sent me to research a certain subject. There's never a day that I don't learn something new!

Anonymous said...

Great photos-- I will have to keep my eyes watchful for an interesting folly.

Ivanhoe said...

I'm learning with you :o) Know a lot of buildings like that, but never knew they were follys (follies?)
Have a wonderful Thursday!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry I don't have time to visit, I just wanted to tell you I'm writing. I'll be back soon...*lovies*

Kathie Brown said...

Certainly not I! Thanks for the poem, the images and the insight!

Anonymous said...

great post... who knew...

Tina Coruth said...

Storyteller,

I enjoyed looking at the photos. What fun! I love the Steven Wright quote - I love his humor and insights. :-)

Hugs,
Tina

me ann my camera said...

Wonderful photos of decorative architecture... neat perspective.

storyteller said...

To everyone - Ohmygosh! Between LIFE and the Olympics I’m sooooo far behind in responding to comments, but I’m trying to catch up today (while events recorded yesterday on my DVR are playing in the background … distracting me now and again). I’m delighted to learn I wasn’t the only one who didn’t know this definition of ‘Folly’ and that each of you enjoyed my ‘take’ on the OSI prompt here at Small Reflections. I appreciate you taking the time to visit and share your thoughts … and hope you’ve had a lovely couple of weeks since doing so. I enjoyed MY visits to YOUR posts as well ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Related Posts with Thumbnails