1. I've been watching French Open tennis for the past week and a half ... just for the JOY of it!
2. There have been quite a few surprising matches & a few upsets already with wonderfully competitive play ... especially from Samantha Stosur (who upset Justine Henin & Serena Williams to reach the semi-finals at Roland Garros for the second time) and Jurgen Melzer who took out David Ferrer and Novak Djokovic on his road to semi-finals where he'll play Rafa Nadal.
3. Although I'm sad to see both Serena and Venus Williams out of the singles early again this year, it's fun to see them play doubles together ... experiencing success.
4. Now that the Williams sisters have reached the #1 ranking in doubles, hopefully they'll win their final match together at the French bringing them half-way to a Grand Slam in 2010.
5. Robin Soderling (of Sweden) played aggressively to take out Rafa Nadal in the Quarter Finals LAST year at Roland Garros and did the same thing to Roger Federer THIS year.
6. This ended Roger's streak of 23 consecutive Grand Slam semi-final (or better) matches starting with the 2004 Wimbledon Championship ... a record that is likely to stand for a long time!
7. Federer has appeared in an unprecedented 22 career Grand Slam finals in his amazing career!
8. Tomas Berdych upset Andy Murray in straight sets and went on to defeat Mikhail Youzhny in the Quarter Finals ... so he'll play Robin Soderling in the Semi-Finals.
9. The first women's semi-final match between Elena Dementieva and Francesca Schiavone ended abruptly when Elena retired due to injury after losing a very close first set in a tiebreaker.
10. Australian Sam Stosur made short work of Serbian Jelena Jankovic in the second women's semi-final match ... winning in two sets, 6-1, 6-2.
11. Both Schiavone (of Italy) & Stosur (of Australia) have played exceptionally well to reach the women's finals so Saturday's match should be a highly competitive one!
12. American men did better this year than in years past ... especially Robbie Ginepri (a non-seeded player) who defeated his fellow American & friend, Sam Querrey in 4 sets and former French Open Champion, Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain in 5 sets to make it to the 4th round where he lost to Novak Djokovic in four sets.
13. John Isner lost to Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic and Andy Roddick was upset by Teimuraz Gabashvili of Russian in the 3rd round when both of these opponents played exceptionally well in very wet, heavy conditions.
Subtle changes in
this 'angelic' yard art view
Straight out of the camera ...
Click to embiggen for better viewing and for
others participating in Yard Art
and Mellow Yellow Monday
"In your hands you hold the seeds of failure or the potential for greatness. Your hands are capable, but they must be used and for the right things to reap the rewards you are capable of attaining. The choice is yours." Zig Ziglar